Frustrations

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a time of the year when I should probably avoid ALL caffeine in my diet!

Two back-to-back days above 80F and I'm all set for summer! Then, 30mph gusts and this will be the last day for an afternoon high above 70 in the forecast . . . Much worse, the WS tells us that we will have 2 nights in the 30's. Wunderground tells us it will be 3 nights with one down to 35! Looking ahead, the 8 to 10 day has "below normal" temps blanketing the Intermountain Northwest and a big question, besides the suspicion that there will be frost instead of 35 but, what will happen after next Wednesday when we won't even see 60?!

All the cool-season plants are out there. Some are actually growing! I would so like to finish the planting of the garden!!

I put out plants yesterday that won't survive a frost - flowers, with extras still here in a flat. I'd planned on setting out some of the 5 dozen tomato plants destined for the 2012 garden . . . don't dare risk them :/, they are my heirlooms!!

I'm spending my days moving plants around the yard like some kind of scurrying chipmunk! Too much sun, too little sun, too much wind, get 'em out where they can be watered - struggle to get them put away as night falls :rolleyes:.

My peppers hate me! The eggplants will hardly stick their noses outside to check on the conditions! So that I don't go off the deep end . . :p . I turn to look at other places in the world where the weather is far more challenging like McMurdo Station in Antarctica, where winter is fast approaching and it is a -10F at this moment!

89664.gif

Then, there's lovely Stanley, Idaho:

http://www.sawtoothcamera.com

The Accuweather sticker on the site doesn't jive with the Weather Underground which shows a 50% chance of snow in Stanley, tomorrow. So, there's that . . .

Not everyone may agree with me, and I don't really know since I haven't lived there thru the season, but Burgos in the mountains of northern Spain looks to have about the same growing season as here. Winters are a little different but this time of year is similar. Burgos has 2 nights of frost coming up but it is afternoon there right now:

08075.gif

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, thanks for the heads up forcast. These sunny days have lulled me into a false sense of security, I was going to plant our mater and peppers this Saturday. Think I will just wait till June 2 which was my original plan. Our weather pattern is quite perplexing sometimes!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector, I am going to be very interested in what the Weather Service says about Wednesday and beyond.

I can't do forecasts. I can borrow forecasts, compare forecasts, report forecasts. I'm good for maybe 12 hours and after that, need to turn to those with a better view of the horizon.

I think that by Saturday, you might have been gun-shy. I will set things out on Sunday if there is a promise of warming late in the week. Don't like wind. Rain & clouds will be okay. . . . but, there has to be a promise of warmth in the forecast.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear you, Steve! We are scheduled for frost tonight... time to bring the tomatoes inside again! After tonight it looks pretty good for us- but I wouldn't bank on it! Good luck, and don't drive yourself crazy! (Love the chipmunk visual!)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I swear the weather everywhere is messed up...we have to plant by our old schedule and never mind early warmth... mother nature's just trying to fool us into planting our toms and cukes so she can send ol' Jack FRost out to kill em off...stay strong friends summer will come everywhere north of the Macon/Dixon line in it's old good time...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ditto what Collector said Steve! You provide a valuable service!

I'm home today (yay ) and was thinking about plunking my tomatoes in the ground. I'm tired of forgetting to water them before I leave in the morning. No doubt they are tired of that routine also. :rolleyes:

Darnit, we're past the May 15 date! Guess I'll just keep trudging them in and out for another week.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We can cover them :rolleyes::

bucketgarden.jpg

tomatoes & some of the squash/melons

I can't remember the year but it was only a short while ago. Barely had the energy to snap the picture with the cellphone after covering all those! This garden is all in 4' beds now and I want to put stakes in while I plant the tomatoes. They will make it more difficult to cover.

That time, I ran out of buckets, used big pots but didn't cover the holes. With a 10mph breeze during the time it was freezing, all those plants died. Some of the plants died under the smaller buckets . . .

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
I swear the weather everywhere is messed up...we have to plant by our old schedule and never mind early warmth... mother nature's just trying to fool us into planting our toms and cukes so she can send ol' Jack FRost out to kill em off...stay strong friends summer will come everywhere north of the Macon/Dixon line in it's old good time...
x2 Have to plant around these parts by wisdom not desire that's for sure!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cripes, glad you posted Steve, which made me look at Wunderground...yesterday it told me the lowest in 10 days was like 39. NOW, it says 34, which could easily be much lower! Well, my plants are mostly in their permanaent spots, so i guess i will bundle them up where they are. Maybe hanging a red heat light would help...

Latest posts