Fuligo septica?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This popped up on one of my squash hills literally in a matter of hours today. I am thinking it is fuligo septica. So, anyone seen this before? It looks familiar to me but I have never had it in the garden before although I do think I have seen it in the woods. This photo doesn't do it justice. It is a bright, sunshine yellow...and slimy. :sick

6069_img0063.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I looked it up. It is way gross and supposly you cant get rid of it so enjoy it. Or that is what this website says

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/june99.html
Yeah i bet it is, i looked at the website did you read what it says at the bottom:

"I hope you enjoyed learning something about slime molds. They're really interesting and beautiful organisms that you should be looking for on your next trip into the woods. Take them home and view them magnified by a hand lens or dissecting microscope. You'll be amazed"

I really dont think i would want it in my garden let alone taking them home

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's the same website I found to "identify" it. I have to say, it is pretty... it's such a vivid yellow. The first thing I thought when I spotted it was Oh NO! SVB! But that was only for a second because it was the wrong color and would have been a veritable army of them. I figure the slime molds got to live to and from what I have read there isn't much I can do about it anyway. :idunno This must be the price I pay for a wet spring. :rolleyes:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bid said:
That's the same website I found to "identify" it. I have to say, it is pretty... it's such a vivid yellow. The first thing I thought when I spotted it was Oh NO! SVB! But that was only for a second because it was the wrong color and would have been a veritable army of them. I figure the slime molds got to live to and from what I have read there isn't much I can do about it anyway. :idunno This must be the price I pay for a wet spring. :rolleyes:
Oh ok yep in the picture it doesnt look vivid yellow. I've never even heard of it before.
I guess you'll be unique with it in the garden.
Enjoy it, i hope it doesnt hurt that squash plant next to it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The bright sulphur yellow is just a stage they go thru, as the fruiting body hardens and matures it gets duller colored.

Slime molds are really neat. Especially if you catch them when the plasmodium is wandering along looking like clear slime, getting ready to make the fruiting body. If you're getting 'em in your garden, it is often from buried rotting wood, or from using wood chips (or other wood product) to amend the soil that were already hosting the organism. They are totally, totally harmless, and IMO cool to have around :)

Pat, who did a senior thesis in college on the other kind of slime molds, cellular slime molds, the ones that you need a microscope to see; but still appreciates the big acellular slime molds (no real relation) in their own right :)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:hide I'm scared of things like that. Someday, mark my words, they will figure out how to eat humans. We will all be sleeping and the slime will ooze out of the walls like demonic eggwhite, and they'll eat your eyeballs first so you can't see which way to run, and then they'll slurp out your brains...

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
:hide I'm scared of things like that. Someday, mark my words, they will figure out how to eat humans. We will all be sleeping and the slime will ooze out of the walls like demonic eggwhite, and they'll eat your eyeballs first so you can't see which way to run, and then they'll slurp out your brains...
:lol:

I think slime molds are neat - I've never seen one in a garden! I think I would have had a heart attack if I had seen this on my plant - even though I know what slime molds are. I tend to overreact when it comes to things that might harm my plants. :p

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
:yuckyuck It's The Blob!!

Latest posts