Fungus Question For The Organic Gardeners

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does the mycorrhizal fungi that grows in rotting straw give the soil the same benefits as the mycorrhizal fungi that grows in a rotting oak log? I only ask because my garden has the former, not the latter.
I looked up the fungi on Google, but was overwhelmed with biology.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adding organic matter, straw included, to your soil will help encourage mycorrhizal fungi to grow and inhabit your garden soil. Your straw already having it in there will certainly help inoculate the soil. If you have enough organic matter mixed in your soil it will help make the fungi feel at home. Fungi are decomposers and help break that mulch down as well as benefit the plants roots and how they absorb nutrients. Over-tilling or using too many chemicals can kill it off though.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you remember the articles on hugelculture (sp?) that started with a sizeable fallen log, then you pile dirt and compost on top and plant veggies on it? Over the years the log rots and nourishes the soil and the plants growing in it. I like that concept, but don't have big logs at my disposal. I can't remember if they were oak or just any log, tho. I doubt if pine shavings would have the same effect, although they will help in various ways, I guess.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking about hugelkultur today also So Lucky.
I think at least a few people were experimenting with it, but didn't come back and tell us what their results were.
I don't think the logs have to be oak. Boggy was one of the people I remember who built a bed. Hope he's doing well....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once asked a Southeast Asian why trees were cut and then burned when they might be buried. When he just looked at me I realized it was a pretty stupid question to ask. We may lament slash and burn but that thinking only comes after it is no longer common practice in developed countries.

Here at home, I'm fairly sure that there is a carpenter ant nest in the roots of one of the 2 trees I cut down about 12 years ago.

Steve

Latest posts