FYI on non-GMO products

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Met with business that is going out of their way to make a circle (where everyone benefits) in the food chain. They have independent people care for and gather cage free eggs, use the manure as fertilizer. Independent farmers are growing non-GMO products for feed. Everyone gets a small premium but the consumer has the options now. They do support organic but that business is flat due to cost. Non-GMO is expected to grow fast. Hope so, as it helps those around me.

Last edited:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Farm co-ops like that are the best way to go. The agribusinesses predominate due to size but there is a way for the small farmer to combat that by taking advantage of the small size. Those who are making it best on small farms are the ones who can find a niche (herbs perhaps) that agribusiness doesn't cover and takes a lot of hand work (like berries) rather than big machines. By banding together they can cover a lot of territory that would be difficult for agribusiness to take over.
It's a way of farming that is so old it is new again.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i haven't fully bit into the organic craze yet. i'm planning on using organic sprays on my fruit trees but i try to use stuff that nature intended for fertilizers. part of the reason i have chickens and will probably be asking the Alpaca farm up the hill if i can get some of their manure for some of the new beds i'm planning for this summer.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like good news Seed. Especially if it's helpful to the farmers you serve. Options are always a good thing, for the consumer and the producer.

( You can edit your title Seed. At the top of your thread starter should be a button that says "thread tools" or something similar).

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for tip, thistle