Garden Attire

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind, you can get womens' Carhartt jeans and overalls online. I have several pairs from www.SierraTradingPost.com (they sell discounted odd-lots type stuff, so their inventory is VERY changeable, you have to keep looking back from time to time). Of course this has the disadvantage of any online or mailorder purchasing, that you can't try things on but have to guess and then return 'em if you guess wrong... but if you are fairly sure you know what you want, it can be useful.

Carhartt seems to be the ONLY company making work-quality jeans for people shaped like me. Everything else is either weird-shaped and boot cut (I *hate* boot cut) or made of flimsy fashion-type material. Urgh. Surely there still are lots of women who USE their jeans, not just sit around yakking on cellphones, don't you think? Hmph.

Hard to find a good work-quality winter canvas jacket, either. I don't care for any of the Carhartt ones I've seen. My old barn coat died last year and I ended up replacing it with a field jacket from Cabela's, but you know, even men's size Small is rather bigger than I am. Would have been handy back when I was gettin' pregnant and all that, but right now, enh.

I hate the clothing industry. OTOH there is also a limit to how much sewing I generally want to do... :p

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you tried LL Bean? That's usually my other option for work jeans and barn coats and such. We've got an outlet about 1.5 hours up the road, so it's not too expensive. They don't do overalls, but for jeans and flannel-lined pants and jackets they're OK. I need the construction pants with the loop, though, so I can clip my dog's training leash to the loop while I'm working with the chickens, and you can't get those at LL Bean.

Am going there either this weekend or next to stock up on thermal undies. They do wicked good thermal undies.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorrel (the winter boot maker) had a line of these wonderful gardening pants - they even have a Felco pocket on the side of the pant leg - actually there are two long pockets there, one specifically for Felco pruners (came with a little cardboard insert) and another where I slide my soil knife. Double kneed with inserts you can put in (I never do). They're made out of some kind of stretchy but heavy enough cotton/lycra combo that feels like canvas. Lots of pockets. I bought two pairs up at Kittery Trading Post a few years back. I'll be totally bummed if/when they wear out, although I've got to say, they're holding up very well!

So, I usually have them on, with a t-shirt, a big straw hat (yes, I do wear one, because if I don't I'll get a blazing headache by 3 pm). I'll either have Tevas on my feet, or socks and old sneakers, or these nifty rubber clogs I got from Smith & Hawken on sale a few years ago - green with dragonflies on them. Adorable!

I look like a hayseed when I'm gardening and I'm proud of it!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a drawer that I keep my "around the house clothes" in. It's full of shorts, tank tops, t shirts, jeans and sweatshirts. I just grab whatever the weather calls for.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
punkin said:
I have a drawer that I keep my "around the house clothes" in. It's full of shorts, tank tops, t shirts, jeans and sweatshirts. I just grab whatever the weather calls for.
Same with me, Punkin!

SewingDiva, I can see why you bought the hat! ;) Did it come with everything you see in the picture? No, I'm not a particularly randy old lady, but he looks strong enough to do a lot of work in the garden :gig ....and look nice while he's doing it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I said I was old, not dead! :cool:

My gardening clothes are disreputable and stained and I obtain them by doing Pat's kind of quick gardening while wearing more decent clothing. Walking by and can't stand to see something out of whack and pretty soon my shirt is stained something horrible. My "gardening" clothes now outnumber my regular clothing! If I ever ordered something out of a catalog, it would have to be worn to church first..then the garden! :gig I can just see me sitting in that pew in my Carharts!

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ha Ha :gig

This is a funny thread. We should start an online fashion show.

I have two pairs of jeans with knee blow-outs and the cut is so, well 1980. I wear one pair of those and a ratty old tank top and one of two old denim long sleeve button down shirts. I would love to have a lovely straw garden hat but I've never been able to find one big enough for my enormous melon.

In the winter I wear boots, bib-overall style rain pants and a slicker. I look HOT! :lol:

Latest posts