Garden fences~keeping chickens out

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red your opinion always matters you dont have to be asked. Sorry about the ex thing, I have great respect for both teachers and nurses !!
No reason to apologize. It is just the literal bend to my mind that wants the EX out. Everyone understood (including me) what you meant, and that is what communication is.

As for the honey issue. I didn't want to spoil Beekissed's parade or very professional answer by butting-in first. Good manners are always appropriate.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, got my garden fence posts the other day...they are a cedar looking wood but not real cedar. Just under $4 per 8 ft. post(not true fence posts, just landscaping timbers), so not a bad deal at all. Bought 30 and will see if that will be sufficient. Trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

Also heard from my wood chip guy today and he may be bringing two dump truck loads out next week!! :weee :woot

Now, if it wasn't raining like I have an ark in the backyard and animals two by two waiting to get off, I'd be able to till up the sod and proceed with this garden setup. :)

Got my seed trays planted today..only a week and a half late. :rolleyes: But, still, I'm so very joyful to get that done. I LOVE to see those little seedlings breaking the soil...it's almost as exciting as seeing the chicks hatch.

Might be getting a load of cattle panels tomorrow if my son isn't called out for his job...will be using them for gating and trellising.

It's all coming together!!!!! :ya :weee :woot :celebrate

Apple tree buds are breaking open too!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sons are supposed to come out today....we'll see if that happens. :rolleyes: Sometimes it does, but most of the time it doesn't. If not, I will just do them like I do everything else around here...a little bit at a time, work when I can, putter along until the whole job is completed.

That's how homesteading is done when you are less young and strong as you once were. :D Just little bits at a time until you finally win.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are so sweet! I get the feeling you are a good son! :hugs I always make them a home cooked meal(usually two) when they come and we made homemade bread yesterday, in preparation. We'll even pop open one of the cherished jars of canned deer meat for supper and use that in the meal...that's a sure fire winner. :D

I don't often ask them for help out here, so they shouldn't be too jaded to come and help, but you know young folks...they don't often see the point in working on the weekends after working a long work week at the job.

I can sympathize with that, I guess, but I was raised by folks that didn't see it that way and so I have never been that way....Saturdays are for working around the house, Sundays are for relaxing...no matter how hard you worked all week. When they get older they will see the wisdom in all of that, I hope. If not, they will never get anything done around their own homes at all due to all the "relaxing". :gig

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digging post holes is therapeutic. We have long handled manual diggers and a has powered hand held auger. Have a homemade heavy pipe T-post driver, used it today putting T-posts in the garden.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
All fence posts for the garden are now in. Used an old fashioned fence post digger...son did them all! :weee They still need to set...our ground is very soppy and all clay soils...but once the ground hardens a little I can shim them in solid.

Got cattle panels hauled out here, so gates and trellising are now on hand. Those cattle panels were on sale for $20 ea., so that was a great deal.

Got the compost bin put together but didn't get the manure into it. Got so many other things done today that I'm on top of the world! :celebrate It's nice to have help once in awhile. :love I thank God for my good boys and their strong bodies.

Somehow or other I miscalculated and bought too many posts, so will be taking some back unless we use them for them for other projects.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's always more projects Bee! I'm glad your sons were such a help today.
It's wonderful how much they can accomplish in a day with all that youth and strength isn't it?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is! Mom and I are so used to doing things by ourselves and we do a pretty good job all the same. She and I make a good team and you wouldn't believe some of the heavy lifting and such we do together....but, man, is it nice to get a hard job like fence hole digging done for us!

Then they did some other tough jobs that require tall or strong people but were just tiny adjustments that made a big difference.

The day was sunny, 60s, breezy and just beautiful!!! God shined His light on us today in all ways and I feel blessed down to the ground...walking on sunshine!! :weee Also got a good start on my farmer's tan for the year. :D

Latest posts