Garden friend

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, @dewdropsinwv, but I'd take the toads over those dastardly chipmunks any day. They dig up my begonias, dig holes throughout the yard, bite pieces of branches/leaves off so they fall and turn brown in the yard, and the make Cee Cee go crazy at the patio door.

If all they did was harvest my acorns, God bless them. But, no, they get into the shed, garage, and even into the house. Nope, cute as heck in jack's photo, but just another variety of rat, IMHO.

@jackb, frogs are for kissing; toads are for warts. Neither Dew or MontyJ would want warty lips.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had one make a nest in my rose garden a few years ago, but it didn't stay around. I think my dog sadie chased it away. Haven't had any trouble with them

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And if your relationships with these chippies begin to change ... and, not for the better, you might want to rename the biggest troublemaker ...

And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson ...
Hide it in the hiding place where no one ever goes.
Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes.
It's a little secret just the Robinson's affair.
Most of all you've got to hide it from the kids.

Koo-koo-ka-choo, Mrs. Robinson,

Hey, hey, hey

;) Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I seem to have a lot of rabbits around this year. They are getting plenty of wild food as they are not bothering my plants. They are not very fearful of humans and cats and only run away when you get precariously close. It is hilarious to see my 2 year old grandson chase them through my daylily beds. They are not very afraid of him either. I thought coyotes eat them but we seem to have a lot of both. Perhaps the hunters are killing off the coyotes. Or the coyotes are eating whatever eat bunnies.?????

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cute little friend @jackb . I second the name Alvin! ... and hope you don't have to come up with several more names!

We had an explosion of chipmunks last year but this year I just see a few, gladly! I got tired of pulling out clumps of sunflowers they kindly planted in all my pots. I also have two rather tame young ones that like to run underfoot on the deck and for some reason they love hanging out on the frogs ...

IMG_1624.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cute little friend @jackb . I second the name Alvin! ... and hope you don't have to come up with several more names!

We had an explosion of chipmunks last year but this year I just see a few, gladly! I got tired of pulling out clumps of sunflowers they kindly planted in all my pots. I also have two rather tame young ones that like to run underfoot on the deck and for some reason they love hanging out on the frogs ...

View attachment 8083
A higher view point! Cute pic. ;)
Dad had them nesting in his downspouts. Then when it rained, plugs caused gutters to overflow.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of a few years ago when I was raising two Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillars (aka parsley worms) I had found on some parsley outside. I usually don't bother to name the caterpillars or indeed any of the insects I raise since the odds of them living through the whole cycle aren't usually good enough for me to want to get too emotionally involved. ( notable exception being Cedric, the Praying Mantis I wound up spending a hurricane sharing my room with, and Hudson, the Hawkmoth at camp when I was a kid who would fly off the wall when I would leave the cabin each morning and ride around on my shirt while I took my morning walk.) But one day I saw them both on the same branch of the fennel plant I was letting them live on, and after watching for a minute it became obvious what was happening; each was trying to get out of the way of the other. From that day one they became named...........Alfonse and Gaston.
232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B3%3Enu%3D7965%3E7%3B9%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3575%3A38%3A%3B3335nu0mrj

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
A higher view point! Cute pic. ;)
Dad had them nesting in his downspouts. Then when it rained, plugs caused gutters to overflow.

We have lived here almost five decades and I can honestly say we have never had a problem with chipmunks, squirrels yes, they are destructive, but not the occasional chipmunk. We have a raised deck, well away from the house, where he/she holds court for most of the day. The chipmunk lives under the deck and can get under cover quickly when the need arises, that is perhaps why it is still alive.