Garden gate idea will it work?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd suggest metal instead of conduit for your drop pin receptacle. Conduit may shatter over time.

You can buy those drop pins since you wan tot to look nice. I just bent rebar and threaded it through a couple of screw eyes fro my shed doors, with a hook on top to put it in when the doors are shut. If I get a chance later today I'll do a photo.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good to know. I was looking for something to make the mold so the pin has an open area to drop into knowing the cement would be strong enough & permanent to hold it in place. Didn't even think about shattering. I just don't want to rely on 1 latch to hold the gate closed to me that's too much stress on a single point.

However Im NOT a builder or engineer so any thoughts from those who have actual training/experience vs my ideas & humble opinions please share. I want it to be very sturdy, and look really nice too.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the commercial drop pin I used for the dog pen. I put a 4x4 as a sill at the bottom to keep the dogs form digging out and just drilled a hole in it for the pin. I probably got it at Lowe's.

Dog Pen.JPG

Then this is what I did on my shed. Bent a piece of rebar, drilled holes through a piece of 2x4 to mount it, and used a hook at the top to store it. I just drove a piece of pipe in the ground to hold the door open.

Top.JPG

Bottom.JPG

Latest posts