Garden in Front Yard

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to put my garden in my front yard, It will get more sun out there. My Husband frowns at this... says it will look bad...

mandieg4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've done it at the last two houses we lived at. I don't like spending time and money on decorations. I have a limited amount of both and would rather they go toward something that I can eat. Besides, you can make a vegetable garden look just as beautiful as a flower bed.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've thought of this too! But, I also worried about how it would look. I'm not sure that I would have something growing all the time although I have cool climate and can garden year round. I'm also afraid that people walking by will pick stuff before it matures and mess it up or break plants. I can't really fence it because of my driveway.

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about people picking things from my backyard and me missing them! LOL

Anyways, I am doing this to my front yard this year, but I am mixing in flowers and I have shrubs out there already. I figured who would notice tomatoes if they are surrounded by pretty poppies and marigolds! :D

Besides, if you do searches for edible landscape ideas I see a lot of samples, and photos that look gorgeous. So it may be worth copying something to make it look like a flowering garden, with the perk of being edible. :D

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a front yard garden.It varies what I put in but I have had tomatoes,cucumbers,onions,asparagus,chives.I moved in some fruits so I have currant bushes,raspberries,and strawberries.

This year I want to move things around and also add some more ornamental grasses to create a border fence.Most people had NO idea I was growing veggies in the front .I did promise my dh I would not do a field of corn,but I did plant some broom corn and sunflowers.Veggie plants are lovely.Try some variety of lettuces and greens as a border plant.They are so cute and ofcourse yummy.

I don't know if I have much posted for last year,but I do have some photos of the front as I dug out more and more.This year I will take more photos.

I have lovage too which is a herb plant that smells like celery.It is huge and neat looking.

Border with some grasses if you need privacy.Also even some dinky 2 foot folding metal fence is good to define a border.I mix flowers with my veggies too.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattemma06

Have fun with the yard.Front yards are such wasted space.I would mow and mow and wish for something better.Now I have it.Oh and I am planting a row of plum trees in the front too.Pawpaw and hazelnut somewhere.Less and less grass to mow :thumbsup

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I too tried to convince my mum we should put some raised beds in the front yard, it's north facing but for the cooler weather crops it'd be good in the height of summer when the house shadows it at the hottest part of the day.

She was not impressed. Needless to say, our garden will be located at the back of the house as per usual.

We do have a potager kitchen garden right infront of the porch, "raised beds" made out of limestone block from a 100 year old garage that fell nearby last year. We had tomatoes, beans, brussels, etc. in with thyme, basil, lupins, and black eyed susan.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have flower gardens and veggie gardens on the front and side of my home/business. I never have anything but compliments. I am sure you could make a garden "worthy" of being in the front yard...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm planning to put veggies in my front yard this year, just to get more out of my growing space. I live on a rural road, so I'd be surprised if any of my neighbors care, and if they did--well, I don't care! :lol:

I see no reason why you can't do it and still make it look pretty. You can always tuck things in and around the flowers and a lot of times they will be beneficial to each other anyway. Are you planning a large garden, or do you just want to have a some fresh things to eat off of for the summer? You could tuck a few tomato plants here and there and herbs make for really neat foliage in the flower bed (and conveniently close to the house to pick them and throw them into your supper). Onions, lettuce, things that don't take much space anyway...put them here and there.

I am planning to plant my scarlet runner beans along my fence this year. They will be pretty and I will get the benefit of the ready-to-go trellis for them. Same with my cukes. I see no reason why not. I plan to plant these things in slightly raised mounds and mulch around them...no need to till, just work the area with a spading fork then dump the good stuff on the spot. This will make more room for broccoli, tomatoes, pumpkins, etc. in the big traditional garden plot out back.

When I get around to it, I will probably put a few raised beds around front too. The right side of my front fenced yard is my daughter's play area (swing, slide, sandbox) and I will mostly leave it at that, except for growing things on the fence. The left side of my yard is a disaster anyway from a very large maple tree stump that is ~almost~ broken down enough to where I might be able to get it out of there this year. That soil will need lots of improving. Eventually that will be where my roses will go, but I still plant to tuck things in among them anyway.

ETA: @Mattema--Nice pics of your yard...such a lush green haven! :)

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm gonna go for it! We have a pool out back, not to mention chickens, and dogs. The front will be perfect! No dogs, no pool, and no chickens! Last year the chickens ate EVERYTHING! I told them we had to share, but they did'nt listen! :lol:

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have one "raised bed" the front garden. This is it last year before it was really planted out. As you can see, all that is actually in it at that point was some strawberries lol. It looked nice, and no one complained about it. This year the big front bed is getting planted out with pickling cukes and i'm putting a few tomatoes, peppers, and various herbs in it as well as some Scarlet Runner Beans which were a huge hit last year..

frontgarden.jpg

Latest posts