Garden Layout RE: Neighbors

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've had a thought........

My garden is set up thusly:
7993_1_garden.jpg

I like using the fences as trellises, and while I don't much care for the view, I do like that the fence itself doesn't cast a shadow over my garden. I don't mind sharing with the neighbors, even if they don't know what to do with a cucumber (true story).

However, my neighbors don't always take care of their yards. There are weeds EVERYWHERE. Many of these are buggy weeds.

Should I maybe reconsider my layout?

Should I maybe put my paths around the outside, and put my garden in the middle? Would a 3' path be sufficient isolation from the surrounding offending vegetation? Would it make a difference?

I was planning on purchasing a weed torch and requesting permission of my neighbors to hit the fenclines from both sides, to keep the fence clear of horrid climbing weeds. Would that have any more/less impact than a 3' isolation zone?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I feel for you. I DO have neighbor's whose yards touch my 5 acres, but only 2, and we all get along. When I lived in town we had a nasty neighbor who accused us of NOT cleaning up weeds along the 6' tall fence he built. When the police investigated they discovered that the weeds were on HIS property. He should have put the fence up closer to the property line.
I guess if your neighbor likes you doing this, then do so, and ask for advice on HIS side of the fence, so he feels involved. Otherwise, you'll have to be a weed-pulling expert.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
very good questions but I dont have an answer....I have known weed seeds to travel far and wide much more than 3 feet plus if the bugs are flying ones then 3 foot would be a breeze for them...I am looking into one of those tourches I have some weeds that have tough roots...and unless you get the whole root when digging they come right back up....

Latest posts