Garden Layout

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so jealous. Did you start everything from seed under grow lights?

Mary
Yes, I started everything under grow lights in the house or direct seed. Well, except for the following: blueberries... those I dug up at a u-pick farm that was shutting down; one Sungold tomato plant - that’s Alan’s favorite small tomato so I make sure I get one from the nursery every year; a sweet banana pepper and another kind of sweet pepper..... But everything else I started from seed. 😊

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom This is the current state of the “gravesite” cut flower beds..... ;)
9F784816-B7CA-41A9-835D-8595C1E1D96D.jpeg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need some help. I currently have 4ft growing lights but need another set. I want to get a shelf with maybe 5 racks on it and use 2 for lights/seedlings. The other ones I need for storage since it will be in my laundry room.

I have the plastic trays and pots already. Also have 2 heating mats. I think I can get my husband to somehow put the lights on the shelf but I need to buy another set of lights.

Question, what type of bulbs do you have and where did you get them? Oh, I see in one of the pics it says T-5. Did you do your own diy setup? How many bulbs does your set up have?

In detail tell me all about your setup! haha Pictures are also helpful. Thanks

Mary

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Mary-
I have one of those metal pantry shelves that’s 3‘ wide and has 4 shelves ... but, 4’ wide with 5 shelves would be better, and I will “upgrade“ to one of those next year.

From the top shelf I have a AgroBrite light that’s 2’ long w/ 4 T5 bulbs. I believe I got this as a “set” at the local feed/seed shop several years ago. Next to this I hung a small 18” LED grow light that I usually use over African Violets. I used it to extend the short 2’ growing space for the first shelf. This wasn’t an ideal setup, but it’s what I had available.

From the second shelf I have two 4’ 2-bulb shop lights, with T8 bulbs, hung side by side. They’re nothing fancy — I picked the fixtures up at Lowes, and ordered the bulbs on Amazon because they didn’t have the bulbs I needed here locally in stock. You want to get daylight bulbs at the highest brightness rating you can get. GE Daylight 6500K I believe is what I am using.

I noticed NO difference in the seedlings using the different lights/fixtures. And, neither of the fixtures/bulb setups make ANY noticeable noise.

I use the little chains that come with the fixtures, and fairly substantial “S” hooks to hang the lights from the metal shelf bars. I like the chains and S hooks because it’s super easy to adjust the height of the lights from the seed trays. And the chains allow me to count the chain links so I know they’re hung level. HA!

Here are some pics for you...
The T8 bulbs I use in the standard 4’ shop light fixture:
657EC95E-723D-473D-86A0-00265531FD04.jpeg

The shop light fixture:
901520AB-B7D3-4B41-9614-DCA6A7B1549B.jpeg

The ”legit” grow light sticker of the 2‘ 4-bulb set:
08454F61-5D3A-4738-9FCC-397C8246F3B2.jpeg

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In addition to inside under lights, I also started cuc/zuc/etc in larger pots and moved some of the indoor starts outside into this little bugger, as i potted up... clearly, i have more to plant.......sheesh, things are blooming in there! :confused:

021C960A-5A00-437D-BF31-06C5C26E2733.jpeg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you SweetMissDaisy! I will start looking on CL for a 4', 5 shelf rack. I want to have it ready for January.

I like the chain idea so that I too can count the links to have it level, haha.

I am starting to get excited about my garden again. A neighbor gave me some sweet delicious apricots from his tree. I didn't know they got that sweet here in Alameda so now I'm looking around my garden to see where I can plant one. Looks like I've found a spot. I will have to eliminate a 4x4 bed but a tree there will give me some much needed privacy. I figured in less than 2 yrs. I will be retired and will remove the play structure from the middle of my sunny yard and can plant veggies there instead. Making up for the loss of that 4x4 bed.

Mary

Latest posts