Garden not a total loss

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garden won't be a total loss this year. At least I've got a bumper crop of crook-necked squash and lots and lots baby pickling cucs just waiting to grow up so I can make pickles. My pole beans are starting to take off, but still no blooms on them, and DS is going to plant another crop of beets tomorrow.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm glad that you are having such a bumper crop of crooknecks and cukes! :)

Crooknecks are my 2nd favorite summer squash. I add them to stir fries, fry them like green tomatoes, put them in summer soup, etc. What plans have you for yours?

As for pickles....if it's pickled, I will almost certainly eat it! :D

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My fave way to eat the crook-necked squash is when they are still small, slice them up and sautee them in butter with onions and an itty-bitty bit of garlic. I just recently harvested most of my onions that had been put in as sets in April, so most of them are at least 1 inch or more in diameter. So, I'll be all set in that department for sure.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I must have missed something. Why did you think it was a total loss? Did something happen?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food, yes something has happened. The groundsquirrels desimated my okra and my toms won't set fruit, which are the two major crops in my garden this year. My pole beans have not even blossomed yet and my corn plants are only 3 inches tall so far. Here in the PNW things seem to be growing really slowly this year and when the critters nearly clean you out of what you DO get to grow, you sort of lose heart like I did.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I wonder if they are put off by rubber snakes like tree squirrels are? You can keep them off a deck or out of places by placing rubber snakes on and around what you are trying to protect. Just remember that you have to move them around once in a while to make them look life like. It works with fake owls in fruit trees too!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's great you have a save! I'm still trying to recover from the april snow, and 10 days of february weather in may. Lost almost all my sprouts to that weather stint.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, Silkie, I'm a bit farther south than you so I hope I can still "hope" for some kind of veg garden. :fl I won't hold my breath though. :rant

Latest posts