Reaction score
I have found the best way to control these is to hand pick them off the plants

:gig

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now you are talking! I bet the little ones wouldn't damage the plants, as much as the big girls. That stone fence is absolutely gorgeous!!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far, the meaties haven't done any damage, even to the seedlings that have come up. After devouring thier food they go bug hunting. You are right, my egg laying hens dig all the dirt away from my perennial plants and thrash them, so they were evicted last year.

I LOVE that rockwall, its 100 yrs old build by the cowboys here. Even the houses are all built with indigenous rock!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, it's over 100 years old and is actually one end of the big corral where they used to process the calves here. Two sides of it are stone wall, and its enormous. Our house and all the cowboy cabins are also made of stone and concrete...very hard to hang pictures on!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the wall, too! what history! Are the walls dry walls or are they mudded together?
I don't think we could do that with our rock around here, It is bumpy, malformed, holey, sharp edges. A few people have tried, but it looks very rustic, not in a good way.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's mudded in most places..you can tell a buncha old cowboys did it. There are odd things in the wall up by the barn...like horseshoes sticking out, or part of a bottle...and the mud work is pretty rustic. There is an old stage stop on the ranch though, that is stacked stone and its perfect. Amazing work. Most of the walls are all standing, you can see the windows, (I don't think they ever had glass) but a fire took off the willow thatched roof several years ago. This is a cool place with a lot of history. It was originally a cavalry outpost in defense from the Piautes. It then became a large cattle ranch. It's the largest and oldest working ranch in the state, except for WhiteHorse ranch down south of us, which used to also be part of this ranch...It's about 30 miles away. The hay wagons are still here, old horse collars and harness, the original large milk cans, but the milk barn, smoke house and kill house are falling down due to flood damage. There is even a wooden water trough. It's a great old ranch, we love working and living here. The family that owns it are really neat people.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love cowboy history ! I wish I have stone wall here at my place !! We have a family ranch in Colorado, and on the ranch there are few abandunt houses that are over 150 years old ! I love history !

Latest posts