Garden update ...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
To solve a very bad draining issue that drowned about half of my plants including a couple trees and 12 blueberry bushes ... for the last 3 months I worked from first light to dark digging ( when not raining ) another meandering creek bed. With the excavated dirt I made several hills. Next , I lined the creek bed with permeable plastic. Then covered it with 2" river peddles. Next , I ordered 7 tons of 4" to 12 " round river rock to line the sides. To complete the look to match the boulders that I placed before, I ordered 6 tons of Mt. St. Hellens lava rock ( each rock checked in between 200 lbs to 800 lbs.). Then , I planted 9 corral bark maple trees trees , a dozen dwarf Azalias, 7 dwarf Mugo pines, 14 Japanese painted ferns, and 24 black Mondo grass. I took the 21st off for our 52nd Anniverary, my wife wanted to drive up the mountains and have dinner at a very small town. The menew had only 6 choices ... my wife ordered fish and chips and I had meat loaf wrapped in bacon. Mid way through the meat, we switched plates. We finished off our mixed drinks and left for home after my wife ordered bred pudding for desert. Then yesterday the Clark County Garden Crew showed up together with the profeshional photographers. They used 6 still as well as action cameras to film from before 2pm to well past 5 pm. Next, they will edit all of the pictures into just a few minutes together with about a dozen other gardens and the results will be on the Clark County Garden web site in late July. I will let you all know when that will be just as soon as I find out as to when. Now, I will take a few days off and be lazy to recoup from my exhaustion.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watered heavily on Friday evening in preparation of this heat wave. Yesterday in got to 109* ... a new record. Some plants showed signs of heat related stress, so I watered last evening. I just came in from making the rounds in this afternoon's 112* heat .... quite a few plants are showing heat related stress and turning limp and brown. First I lost plants to drowning this past Feb. , NOW they are dying of thirst and heat ! :barnie o_O:he:idunno:duc

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NWS Portland: "353 pm | The Portland Airport has officially reached 115°F. Before setting the all-time record yesterday (112°F), and the day before that (108°F on Saturday), the previous all-time record high temperature was 107°F set on Aug 8th & 10th 1981 & July 30th 1965."

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The plants that suffered the most damage were the NATIVE ( go figure ) Lady ferns followed by the Sword ferns. Next clocked in were the oldest of the Corral Bells. Most of the others survived with only slight signs to no signs of damage. :idunno

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, every day there is more dead and dying leaves on most of the plants including all young maples under 4 years old. The older trees still do not show any sign of dead leaves yet. On some brighter news ..... I just received an e-mail from a Barrister in Africa informing me that I have died on such and such a date four years ago and that I left a heafty bank account. So, please reply to him to claim my bank account. I immediately checked all of my vitals and determined that I am still alive, hale and hearty. So I will immediately contact him of this fact so that I can now enjoy my lost loot. :idunno:caf

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just received a very long e-mail from the barrister. He said that the person with a same name as me, died in a car crash on March 15, 2015. He never married and had no kids. The amount of the account is One million two hundred thousand British Pounds . This was followed with a l o n g essay of how hard he worked to finally find me. Then to get back to him. He still did NOT say anything of what it would cost me to claim my loot. :caf Anyone have any bright ideas as to have some fun with this idiot.? :idunno:gig

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just heard from Clark County garden tour. They had scheduled to be on line by Sunday ... then a bug showed up on the test run .... so they hope to have the bug swatted and hope to have it operational by Sunday night. I will let you know just as soon as I hear back from the county. Stay tuned ! :caf

Latest posts