Garden Update

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Life has been stressful and I haven't had a chance to really take care of my garden the way I wanted to and I think because I didn't fertilize the soil in the containers, the plants have started to die. I got one little red tomato off my tomato plant, but I haven't eaten it yet. There are 3 little itty bitty tomatoes on the plant but they are not getting any bigger and probably will not ripen. My cucumbers died horribly. The only true survivor is my rosemary but even that is looking scraggly.

So its time to start something new. Is there anything I can plant now (as in today!) by seed or seedling, that would be ready to harvest before it gets too cold?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this. Everyone deserves the taste of real tomatoes throughout the growing season.

Are you specifically growing only in containers? Perhaps since you realize that growing to feed yourself is a bit out the question then maybe this is a great time to stick with the grocery store and try your hand at some flowering stuffs.

What about some beautiful flowering kale? That would take you right up until the first frost before you see any damage at all. They would even be quite a show stopper covered in a bit of snow.

If you are going to stick with veggies, you can seek out someone who has a healthy established tomato plant that is producing and take a few tops off, set them in a vase of water for a few days in a sunny location (indoors), they will begin to show roots, then put them back out in containers or the garden. The growth will seem suspended as they grow roots, but guaranteed they will produce fruit within a month. This will give you a batch of tomatoes just before your first frost (which I am assuming is late October). This technique might be more beneficial in the ground now that the evening temps are dropping. If potted be sure and set them in groups so they can generate heat through the night.

I still think flowers are great food for the soul. :)

Ron

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have to use containers because the soil here is for lack of a better word, crap. I tried growing plants in it and they just withered away and died. The soil here is very dusty, hard, and not good for even growing grass. When my husband and I get our own house, I will make sure the soil is good to grow in or take steps to improve it, but you just can't do anything here.

There is a patch of grass right behind the house that doesn't belong to us. Doesn't really belong to anybody, at least it's never used. Its right near the edge of the hospital parking lot. Perhaps I can do some secretive gardening there since it seems the soil is so much better.

I already know I can't grow enough of my own food to support myself, but I don't really care much for growing things only for show (flowers and such). I will be growing some flowers but they are mostly for attracting beneficial insects.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Or is there anything I can grow indoors? I was thinking of trying some herbs for use in cooking but what kind of herbs can you grow in containers, indoors?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soybean, not sure what you could or couldn't expect to plant at this time. But you should consider an Earthbox for your growing since you may not have time to fuss with things.....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, it happens sweety... everyone has bad seasons. My neighbor's garden suffered from his job last year... he never had time. I went and helped him a bit when I could... but this year turned out so much better for him! Which means, I bet next year you will have a better turn out. :D

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh wow...doubly sorry,

But please don't give up on soil even if you're only there temporarily. If you have a specific area that is bad and you want to see it healthy and producing, then it is very very easy.

Take something like 4 x 4 or stones or bricks to create an edge, this will give you an inch or two to work with. Then simply begin to take dried debris from the yard (weeds and stuff), and also shred some newspaper. Then add some coffee grounds and veggie cuttings as you use them in the garden. I typically keep a tight fitted container on my counter for all my scraps. You will be surprised how much you can add to this spot in such a short time. Use the dried leaf material to keep the moist covered and water it in. As the seasons pass us you will have built a very nice level of mulch and compost. Turn this into the soil and then plant for next Spring.

It is never a chore to give back to the soil, and if it is neglected and unforgiving then patience and persistence is your friend. Let the seasons season it and you will have abundant soil.

Wishing you luck, don't give up!:cool:

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh yeah, I forgot, it might be a good idea to put aside some space in the freezer for those fish parts (heads and such) for next year's tomato planting.

I wish I had the link, but there is a post regarding the perfect tomato planting recipe! I have to go find that link. Ahh, here it is, it is from Hattie the Hen.... Whooohoo! :lol: http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26460

ok, that's it, LOL off to putting up my raingutter.

Ron

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure about your growing season- but I would think you would have fast success with lettuce and/or radish...Get them planted quick and at least enjoy a few salads. Don't give up- gardening is a huge learning curve and so dependent on mother nature...rain, no rain, bugs, frost, etc. You've got all winter to figure out what to try differently-you will never find anything more delicious than something you have grown yourself! I put my first garden too far from a water source, did not supplement the soil and had too much shade! Trust me, if you keep trying you will surprise yourself!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SoyBean said:
Life has been stressful and I haven't had a chance to really take care of my garden the way I wanted to and I think because I didn't fertilize the soil in the containers, the plants have started to die. I got one little red tomato off my tomato plant, but I haven't eaten it yet. There are 3 little itty bitty tomatoes on the plant but they are not getting any bigger and probably will not ripen. My cucumbers died horribly. The only true survivor is my rosemary but even that is looking scraggly.

So its time to start something new. Is there anything I can plant now (as in today!) by seed or seedling, that would be ready to harvest before it gets too cold?
Lettuces, spinach, some asian greens, mustards, bunching onions, radishes, the small carrots, the mini brassicas - all would work.

Latest posts