Gardening in Florida

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here lol,But Last Fall/Winter I planted Okra,Collards,Mustards,Winter Squash,Beets,Turnips,Rutabaga's for the first time and well I bombed out,No one in my area bought any so I thought maybe I should only do a Spring/Summer crop from now on.

My mom says I should stick with Tomatoes and Peppers,So I'm planting Early Girl Tomatoes,Yellow/Red/Green Bell peppers,Banana Peppers and Cayenne Peppers as well as 5 top herbs Rosemary,Basil,Parsley,Oregano & Thyme.

And my question is I have staked all the rows and I have no plans on EVER pulling them so what plants could I plant in the rows for Fall/Winter? I thought about Corn but I don't think I would make much money and Squash doesn't sell for very much either,So I thought maybe Sunflower seeds? Or maybe I can grow Tomatoes and Peppers through the season? Until the hard frosts sets in. Or What about Lima Beans even?

I live in Putnam County just outside of Palatka.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you selling in a farmers' market, at your back door, or other arrangement? Maybe the potential buyers don't know you have things to sell in the wintertime?
I would think beets, carrots, mustard, spinach, chard, kale would be good choices for winter growing and sales.

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Are you selling in a farmers' market, at your back door, or other arrangement? Maybe the potential buyers don't know you have things to sell in the wintertime?
I would think beets, carrots, mustard, spinach, chard, kale would be good choices for winter growing and sales.
I was selling from my farm and I took out an ad in the paper letting ppl know.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may have to expand your advertising. Particularly if your farm is a ways out of town, or not right near a commerce hub.

Latest posts