Gardening in the rain

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got home at about 2 today, it was spitting a bit, but I had lots to do out there. I planted out some annuals, but before I could do that, I had to clear away crocus foliage, weed a bit, sprinkle a bit of fertilizer and then I could plant. Allyssum and snapdragons went in in a few places. Then I thought a bit about the roses I have to plant, there's a garden along the side of the house I'm going to expand to accommodate a rose or two, so that decision was made, but I couldn't do much about it today, not enough time. So then I tackled weeding and thinning out one of the quadrants on the herb garden. I've finally got one-quarter done the way I want for the moment. Around 5:30 the rain got heavy enough to drive me in. I didn't realize how soaked I was! :D But even in the rain, gardening for the afternoon is such a treat!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes it is amazing how easy it can be to ignore being completely soaked through when you have something to accomplish. My limit is usually when my gloves are caked with mud. LOL

Glad you got something done.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gardening in the rain can be fun, except for when you step in mud. I honestly dont mind getting soaked i'm set to get things done in the garden thats what i'll do.

Thats great that you got things done today, even in the rain, you cant let a rainy day stop you in the garden.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am getting discouraged, not by rain, but cold. Every evening I suit up- coat, hat, gloves, long pants...to work in the garden, in June!! I was so mad about it last night, I sat on the couch and did nothing!! Thankfully, the sun came out this morning and it is quite nice...I don't mind working in a sprinkle, saves time on watering! Wishing everyone a little dirt under their nails this weekend! Enjoy!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love gardening in a drizzling or light rain..(a deluge I can live with out) ..if I didnt I would never garden :)

it feels kind of good actually to embrace the elements

I have heard it is not good for the soil to dig around when it is too wet ..have you guys heard that?

I have not noticed because really like I said if I did not garden in the rain...well I would not garden much!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi HiDelight! :frow

I have a wide plank of wood I use to stand on in wet weather to stop messing up the soil. I also use it across the raised beds wnen I'm sowing or planting. Its an old builders scaffold board. I have to get a new one as it has seen better times.....! :lol:

Treading on wet soil compacts it -- NOT GOOD ;) :( :frow

:rose Hattie :rose