Gardening Mistakes

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What is your worst gardening mistake this year?

MINE: Planting cucumber without a trellis but next to a tomato plant (hey I'm a first year gardener :lol:)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
not trying cold frames!!! I am disapointed I did not use them this year and will for sure next year... we have a perfect climate for them and they work well so why not? I really believe if I used them I could garden all winter here!

mrsengeseth

Leafing Out
Reaction score
starting my seeds too early...i was overrun in my office with plants that i swear were telling me "Feed me Seamore!" But by the time it came to plant they were too spindly and weak. I had to start new seeds all over again.

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I let my zucchini, squash and winter squash be infested with those vine borers because I didn't know about them :/

And I wasted my time trying to grow spinach and broccoli raab, when I should have just planed the swiss chards and been done with it. But it wasn't totally my fault: the first garden I planted flourished with spinach and broccoli raab. Maybe it just got too hot too fast?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wasting time planting beans up corn... now that the beans actually have flowers, the corn is done and needs to come out so I can plant some more corn! ARGH!

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Living in a state of denial when I noticed my cucumber plants appeared to be weak...they had bacterial wilt and I lost almost my whole crop :he

Next year, I will trust my gut-instincts!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Too much organic matter in my oldest bed. My soil has been such crud that I didn't think I could overdo it. Now my zucchinis are sulking because they are probably water logged. :( Oh well, of crops to lose I guess zucchini isn't one I'm too upset over. :weee

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Drake maiden - too much organic... really odd and almost not possible sorry bout that

My mistake was one to purchase 20 lbs of expensive seed tomatoes when they could not be delivered until a month and a half after my planting date. Then I covered the whole plants over and over so they never grew. That was a big hit.

And then letting my ducks into my garden. They ate all my watermelon, cantelope, and pumkins leaves. Bad duckies can't be trusted.