Garlic Help??

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Greetings all....

In a previous thread on onions and garlic, I asked when to plant garlic, and expected harvest in NE FLorida...

Im going to be growing in container...

I have research various sites, and have decided on trying softneck, then ...ALL these choices??.. Chilean, Applegate, Kettle, to name a few..etc???

Can you folks make a recommendation on which variety to choose from, or should I try a couple varieties?? ((as I am a first time garlkic grower??))

There are a few sites (Seeds of Change), ...but what growers do you recommend??

Thanks in advance,
Athena

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Garlic can't be grown in a container. Every clove planted will result (hopefully) in a bulb. A container just won't have enough room. A rasied bed is best, allowing for good bulb formation and good drainage.

As a general rule of thumb around the US, garlic is planted in early/mid October and harvested in the summer. Plan your garlic bed carefully as it will be in the ground 9 months of the year.

A lot of garlics like cold weather so growing them in Florida may be a challenge. I would contact www.filareefarm.com to get some info on what varieties would do best in your area. I have ordered from them before and they are very knowlegeable, helpful, and friendly. They will absolutely point you in the right direction.

My garlic growing bible is "Growing Great Garlic" by Ron Engeland. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to grow garlic succesfully.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chilean Silver from Seeds of Change is a great variety.

Stick to stuff that's recommend easy to grow right now.

I've successfully grown garlic in containers so don't be discouraged.

Latest posts