Garlic Questions

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know that garlic is supposed to be planted in the fall but since my garden was not ready in the fall I planted some Garlic as soon as my garden was ready (Early March). In hopes that next summer I would have nice big heads.

My Garlic grew great until about a week ago and now its leaves are turning brown and falling over!

Do I need to harvest them?

What will happen if i just leave them? (They are mixed in with everything else in the garden so they will continue to get water all summer)

Thanks,
Dogginfox

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've read that garlic takes a full 9 months in the ground to get usable garlic heads - that's why they should be planted in the fall, like tulips. So therefore, I don't think yours matured early and are ready to harvest after just 3 months in the ground, even though the browning leaves are the usual indication of harvest time.

If I were you I'd dig one up to see if it rotted due to too-damp soil conditions or has a bug or disease problem. I'm sorry about your crop - garlic is my favorite thing to grow.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dogginfox said:
I know that garlic is supposed to be planted in the fall but since my garden was not ready in the fall I planted some Garlic as soon as my garden was ready (Early March). In hopes that next summer I would have nice big heads.

My Garlic grew great until about a week ago and now its leaves are turning brown and falling over!

Do I need to harvest them?

What will happen if i just leave them? (They are mixed in with everything else in the garden so they will continue to get water all summer)

Thanks,
Dogginfox
Most likely you won't get much of a crop, but yes, harvest them now. If you leave them you'll get lots of shoots all crammed together and puny cloves (again). Start again this fall.

Latest posts