Gaura

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is one of my favorites, Gaura, they call it 'Whirling Butterflies'.

I found an old irrigation concrete pipe which I stood up and planted a Gaura 8 years ago. This little wonder comes back year after year without fuss, and blooms throughout the year.

mie3hf.jpg

345fwv4.jpg

2hq8gw8.jpg

I need to get myself a pink one.

Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gorgeous! Doesn't it feel good to create things out of rejected scraps?! This thread reminded me that I was going to go out looking for an old cast iron sink.... I need one for a garden table I'm going to build. :D

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did you see that in Mother Earth? I saw the article on it, and I'd like to build one, too.

I had 2 gaura last year, but only one came back. :( They're a great plant for the front of the garden.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just beautiful! I am in love with this!!! it looks like a giant vase of flowers!!

those flowers are just stunning as well like little white butterflies on stems!

I wonder if I can grow those here? for sure I must try!

thank you so much for the beautiful photo!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks really handsome in the concrete drainpipe! :)

Gaura has been very hit-and-miss for me -- some years it comes back, some years it doesn't come back but self-seeds well, some years none of the above. I've had both 'Whirling Butterflies' and something that has 'Bridal' or 'Bride' in its name; I like the latter better aesthetically but it is just as unreliable as the other.

It does seem to like very well-drained soil, heat, a bit of support (I use a peony cage or crosshatched sticks) and a very light layer of mulch if you want it to self-seed.

I have tried cutting it back in September (about a month before it would stop flowering on its own) to try to improve its tendency to return the next year, and it *might* help but I can't really say for sure at this point.

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice, Ron!

I have a couple of clay chimney pipes. Even cut one so that they would be a group of 3, each of a different height. I thought that the arrangement would look good with some mint growing out of them.

The problem is that they are "used" pipes. They were part of the flue for an oil heater in a garage years ago . . . I can't decide if these soot-stained things are fit containers. Maybe an ornamental choice instead of a mint would be better.

Steve

Latest posts