Geez! how many fertilizers should I buy?

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!

I am reallly expanding my garden this year and I will be planting both potatoes and asparagus. I have seen specialized fertilizers for both of these veg but I don't know if I should invest in them.

Has anyone had a lot more success using these fertilizers? Are they considered organic? My soil isprobably in C+ shape. I amend with manure and it has lots of worms, but it also has a lot of clay in it too.

Thanks for any help!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Clay is not a bad thing. It has lotsa nutrients, and holds moisture well. So as long as you get enough organic matter *added to* it, there are real advantages to starting with clay as opposed to, say, sand.

Whether the fertilizers are organic just depends on what they are. If the numbers are fairly high, they are probably not; if the numbers are in the single digits and/or they say 'organic' on them, then they are probably organic :p

I don't think it's worth spending money on 'special fertilizers' without first doing SOME sort of soil testing. EIther a cheap kit (ideally one that will do N, P and K, not just N) or send a sample off to a lab. That way you will know what you are starting with and what if anything different crops are going to need. Otherwise it is just wild guessing.

Really, though, the more you work in good finished compost made from a variety of sources, the less likely you are to need fertilizers of whatever sort.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Em! I use bone meal on my potatoes - that seemed to perk them up when they were looking saggy last summer. I also have blood meal and use liquid kelp as a foliar spray every so often. That said, I don't spend a lot of time fertilizing. Since I have plenty of access to cow & chicken manure, that's my primary source. If you want, I could ship some down to you. There's plenty to spare! ;)

Keep me posted on your progress with the asparagus; I'm starting it this year, too.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I use the cleanings from my nest boxes in the coop for my asparagus bed. I get manure(fertilizer) & straw(mulch) this way. This will be the first yr I can get cuttings from my asparagus & I can't wait. I found one already sprouting out there a few weeks ago, but it is from a plant I need to wait until next yr to harvest from. I have staggered my plantings.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use a plant tone mix. Last year I only bought 5-3-3 for my tomatoes (I need to recheck those numbers). They come in others as well for what you need. Plant tone is organic so I feel better about it. I got a 5lb bag for about $5.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I mix green sand bone meal lime peatmoss well rotted manure and compost and if I can find it some seaweed and sea shells That usually has all the nutrients needed for most veggies and flowers
:old

nomorglf

Sprout
Reaction score
you really just need one type of fertilizer,10-10-10 thats all nothing more.

Latest posts