Geometry problem....

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Here's my idea for my strawberries... a three tiered raised bed. Base is 6x6 then in the middle is 4x4 and the top 2x2. All with untreated 2x4 and then stained and sealed.

http://fromseed.blogspot.com/2009/04/strawberries-in.html
This is the general idea except that I didn't want it square (too hard to get the corners watered from a central sprinkler). My debate was whether to make it 6-sided or 8-sided.

DH points out that the maximum width ('diameter' if you can call it that for a polygon) of a hexagon with 3' sides is exactly 6'. The same for an octagon with 3' sides will be slightly larger. He just did the math and claims 7'10' which sounds too big to me but I am not going to do the math myself... suffice to say, it will be more than 6'.
Tell your hubby for me that he's a genius. :bow These are exactly the figures I was trying to compute! As it happens, the 7-footer WILL fit the space I have, so I'll go with the octagon shape.

Thank you, everybody! I just could NOT figure it out and was just about to go buy some spray paint to mock it up. I may still do that! The landscape timbers are already cut and I have my plastic liner all set to go. Now I just have to "guesstimate" how much top soil I am gonna need.

This is gonna be a fun project made all the better thanks to all your help!

:thumbsup

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rusty said:
Now I just have to "guesstimate" how much top soil I am gonna need.
Enh, just pretend they're circles, you'll be pretty close :)

7'6" diam circle (I'm subtracting a little for the width of the timbers) has an area of 37 sq ft. Multiply by a bit more than the desired depth of soil (it settles) for cubic footage required for main bed. Repeat with appropriate numbers for the smaller circles that will be atop the main one, and there ya go :)

Post pics when it's done! :)

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah you better post photos when you're done! I'm dying to see this design. :D

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I *still* think this is a great idea and would look terrific right where I want to put it, but SO and I have developed "creative differences" over the execution. :tongue

Oh, well. There's always next year.

Rusty

:mow

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thats why you just do it! Then... SURPRISE!!!

I do it to hubby all the time!! :lol: