Gettin' excited!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 80s! You could throw a party in there Cat!

Those subconscious spring longings....
I dreamed the other night that I was looking for my husband all over the house. I finally found him taking a nap in a patch of sunshine on the patio. The snow was still piled up in the yard, but his patch of sun was warm and cozy, so I snuggled down and joined him. It was so realistic! I was probably having a "flash"! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Yep, it's called impulse buying, not that I would know anything about that. :hide I went to home depot the other day and bought a 4 pack of brussels sprouts for $1.74. Now, I love brusselsl sprouts. As soon as I got home, I checked my Golden Gate Gardening book and it said NOT to buy them even if you see them in the spring! Supposedly, it is a fall crop in the bay area.

Mary
Yeah girl, its a fall crop here too... HOWEVER...

You can plant them on the east side of your house. They can go all summer in morning sun only and afternoon shade. This way you'll have a crop in time for Thanksgiving. So don't get bummed out, I've pulled it off even though its a fall crop here too.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
NinnyMary, if you were right at the golden gate bridge with all that summer cooling right there they might work. know anyone at the presidio or pacific heights or north beach who could plant them? some amazing things grow there! I'll be going that way in a few days in the veterans hospital shuttle bus to fort miley for the day. i love seeing the gardens in san francisco!!!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I looked the other day and the garlic is peeking up in the garden. I had to put an x-pen over the raised bed to keep the chickens out! Covered the strawberry beds too, and started weeding them. Begging Randyman to get my greenhouse going (yeah, right). The one i had got crushed by snow coming off the roof. The seed I ordered online got her yesterday so tomorrow I'll be starting peat pots and my 55 chicken order is in to be delivered in May. Most of our snow is gone for the moment, although its muddy and the pastures are bare, but the lambs are loving being out anyway.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Petey, what kind of greenhouse did you have?
I'm determined this year to have something,it will probably just be a high tunnel to grow my peppers and tomatoes in. Not all of them, but enough to guarantee some kind of decent harvest.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was one of these, only it was 8x12 for $86. I figured at that price I couldn't lose. I had it for 3 years. I put Tposts in and wired it to them and had next to the house in a corner where it helped block the heavy winds (we get hurricane force wind here frequently). It did fine until the snow load crashed and collapsed it. I might use cattle panels for a frame and put the plastic back over it even though its a little raggedy after 3 years, if Randyman doesn't get the one he is promising built. I was able to put a heater in there and get it going early in the year and it worked out great.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenhouse-15x7x7-LARGE-Green-Garden/dp/B004SL66HI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_5

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like your Pooh Bear quote Thistle!

Alexander Allen Milne was my mother's 3rd cousin. She had a lot of important 3rd cousins from both sides. President Wilson, and Chief Justice Hughes. Yea, we're related to both of them and they ran against each other. I think I take mostly after Pooh Bear though.

Oh bother, it's another blustery day in the hundred acre wood.

Latest posts