Gettin' excited!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually try to temper my spring fever with logical thinking, like: 'it's only March 1, we still have some snowstorms to get through before we can say goodbye to winter' and 'just because it's been above 40 for several days doesn't mean this white stuffs going anywhere for awhile'. You know, like that.

But today I caved in and got all spring fevery! I had to go to town on errands and my truck just automatically pulled into the garden center parking lot! Weird! So I took it as a sign :p and went in to check out the seed stuff.

I walked out with starting soil, some extra peat pots, and a selection of bulbs for a couple of customers. It was such a relief! Even though except for the bulbs I didn't need any seed starting stuff. I'm pretty sure I still have plenty in the shed.

What do they call that kind of shopping you do when you don't really need anything your buying? Well, I guess I have that problem....

Oh, yeah, and I saw tons of robins in town too, so maybe I'm justified!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Uh, yeah I feel for you! I went into tractor supply and spent WAY TOO MUCH on stuff for the flock and the baby chicks coming in....April. And then I went to Menards and got the rest of my seed starting stuff and somehow ended up with a little indoor greenhouse thing? My plast tables worked just fine last year. My tax return got me a little too confident in my finances. Good thing I didn't go into a garden center! :rolleyes:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:coolsun

You got the auto steer into the garden center vehicle!

Some folks have secret implanted microchips in their vehicles that automatically make sure all stop lights turn red on approach.
Some folks have that garden center auto steering microchip in the vehicle!

wellp, best most positive thing to do is at least keep a list in the glove department of your garden center needs and wants.

like, ooooo, if i get that spirea i can take a ton of cuttings from it and sprout some of its seeds too, course that means i need some more perlite, ooo, and o! they have wood flats! and...get some extra lilies, i can make 10 from one in a year...

No mechanic has ever been able to remove the auto turn into the garden center microchip! even purchasing a new vehicle does no good!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, thistle- you are giving me hope... Maybe I should turn in the direction of the garden center and just see what happens!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, your vehicle automatically steers you to the garden center too?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The robins don't lie! :ya :coolsun

Impulse shopping...I think they really count on that this time of year!

I got my seed order in last night... Found a sale on rhubarb and bought 6 plants as well as about 20 other things not really on my list. I got free shipping though! :p I did get some good deals on some landscaping plants at Jungseed.com. I finally spread the mountain of manure around front and my perennial flowerbed is finally gonna happen this year.

I have so much planning to do on paper, I almost need spring to slow down before I find myself far behind. I struggle to find time to write a grocery shopping list anymore. I also have a portable chicken coop to finish building too.
:th

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, it's called impulse buying, not that I would know anything about that. :hide I went to home depot the other day and bought a 4 pack of brussels sprouts for $1.74. Now, I love brusselsl sprouts. As soon as I got home, I checked my Golden Gate Gardening book and it said NOT to buy them even if you see them in the spring! Supposedly, it is a fall crop in the bay area.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do that around here too, Mary. They need frost to be tasty. Not sure about your growing season, but in mine you want to buy your transplants around July 1st. I learned the hard way that they didn't mean direct seeding around July 1st. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
:coolsun

...No mechanic has ever been able to remove the auto turn into the garden center microchip! even purchasing a new vehicle does no good!
What can you do!?!

I've got a different kind of gardening environment than most. I don't trouble the property owners by showing up in the off-season to shuffle around the gardens, kicking at the mulch. I have not seen my gardens since about the 1st of November! That is, except for the 3 beds in the backyard, 2 of which will be covered by the temporary hoophouse in a few days. Those are in such a protected area that it is impossible for me to have any idea of what is going on in the "real" gardens, until I show up there sometime this month. When I do, it is like I've stepped back in time!

I saw a robin this week, Thistle'! He was with some starlings and seemed kind of out-of-place and, maybe even, embarrassed. Yesterday's afternoon high was 51F, the warmest this year . . . by 1. We're getting there!

Steve
1st peppers and snapdragons, y'day!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, I learned the hard way too about planting seeds. I wanted a veggie fall garden so I planted seeds in October!

Mary

Latest posts