Getting busy

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My job is starting to get very busy again. My company sent me to Charleston to assist in installing a new fire alarm in the states tallest building. (of course, the states tallest building is only 20 stories high...and is 100 years old) I went down early Monday morning and worked four 12's then drove home last night. I have to work today and will be working from home next week, then back to Charleston the following week. I won't be on much during the time I'm down state. After working 12 hours then going back to the hotel, getting a shower and finding something to eat, I'm just too tired for internet. They brought me down because of my conduit running experience. There are two other guys who try to run pipe, but they are very slow and can't bend to fit very well. They are more prone to setting boxes for direction changes and such which takes a lot more time and costs much more in materials.

DW has been keeping up with the garden for me. She has really done a great job of it. It's amazing to see how much the garden has grown in just four days! When you see it every day, it just doesn't seem to grow that much, but when you leave for a few days and come back, WOW!

So, if I disappear for awhile, you'll know why.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Long days can be brutal. Take care of yourself. Glad to hear the garden is florishing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should get your wife on here, MontyJ.

She would be able to share what she is hearing from those voices in the garden :cool:.

I had DW's help weeding yesterday. She'd like to use the hoe and just walk around each bed. I was pleased that she made good use of the stool that I brought for her and just used the little hand hoe, removing all the weeds for composting. There is a special satisfaction when life's partner decides that "your way" is better ;). There's no insisting on things like that.

That work treadmill needs greasing. Don't let it wear you down!

Steve

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
long days monty. it's good to have a job, but sometimes the job eats up a lot of energy & more than it's fair share of time.
we'll miss you while you're gone.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked in an industry where 12 hour days seven days a week were common, sometimes for a week at a time, sometimes 2 weeks, or the one I usually worked, 28 days in a row. But then you usually got an equivalent time off. With the overtime or extra pay, the money was good and with the time off, I could spend more time with my kids and wife than someone working a regular job, especially during the summer. But occasionally Id do a 6 weeks on with 2 weeks off rotation due to the guy I was alternating with had a family emergency or wanted to see his kid graduate. He did the same for me. That schedule was brutal though some people regularly worked that schedule, often with Sunday afternoons off.

You really have to depend on your spouse and turn things over to them if you work that kind of schedule. Things like handling household emergencies and to a large part, raising the kids. I considered it harder on my wife than it was on me. Hopefully yours is just short-term but take full advantage of downtime to stay as fresh as you can. And call home and support your wife often. She's the one at home on the spot making the decisions.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Working for a living sure interferes with living doesn't it? :lol: We'll miss you while you're gone, but git 'er done! Just think of the O.T. you are making and the stuff for the yard/house/garden/chicken coop you can buy with the extra money! :gig

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Imagine .

. . if both spouses .

. . had a schedule like that :rolleyes:.

Steve
It really helped that my wife worked in a school, running the library. When the kids were off, she was off. And she had some other adults, (teachers, clerk) to talk to. She was not in isolation.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Working for a living sure interferes with living doesn't it? :lol: We'll miss you while you're gone, but git 'er done! Just think of the O.T. you are making and the stuff for the yard/house/garden/chicken coop you can buy with the extra money! :gig
That's exactly right Bay. New sewer line for this old place that will be installed at the correct depth for the new house, then new sewer line for the renovation next door. Somewhere in there I have to get nest boxes built and a hard roof over part of the chicken run.