Getting rid of the chicken cabana...help?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My chicken run faces the east. I had to erect something for shade for the chickies but, as you can see, well, it's ugly! In the meantime I transplanted two elaeagnus in the spring, but one I don't think is going to make it. Any suggestions on what I can do with this? I need to plant something evergreen so they can have shade at all times. Thanks!

chickencabana.jpg

chickencabana1.jpg

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd buy them a sizeable tree and plant it right in the center of the run.. or along the edge that faces the sun.

Sorry i don't have more suggestions

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Such a beautiful set-up. It is looking so alive and well!

Your shade cloth doesn't look too bad. I use one in my fruit orchard for my chickens.

As for your run, since it is opened to the top, shade might be a bit hard. You could get a big Beach umbrella that you can open on sunny hot days and retract on cooler cloudy days. Normally I always suggest a run to have a fencing top to it because a daytime Owl strike or a Red-tailed Hawk could come along. Nothing worse than an unexpected visit from a predator.

I have a run that is covered with fencing, and the vine I chose to apply to it was Honeysuckle. It grows so well, so fast, and it feeds and attracts hummingbirds. I also like that it smells so heavenly which can mask any chicken odors that can occur over time.

My flight used to be completely open to the sun, but now it is covered so that it is completely shade 24/7. My chickens do have access into the open orchard for full sun, but I still provide a shade cloth for their protection.

Here is the flight about 3-4 seasons ago. The Honeysuckle is just getting to the top. I did have a crab-plum that I planted inside of the flight and in the next picture you will see it also growing up through to provide shade.
169rtqf.jpg

Here is the flight this morning (do not judge the weedfulness!) What a ton of growth!
oqlgyb.jpg

In years to come, as the plum tree expands its canopy across the top of the flight, I will begin to slowly remove most of the vine growth. It likely will begin to fail anyways once the tree overtakes it all. So this might be your answer. What about a tree in the run? A fruit tree or nut tree would provide them with some goodies too each year.

Here is where I utilized my shadecloth. Also, that is Buck my rooster and Dharma the Mottled Cochin.
2d1pj0m.jpg

Remember, chickens are so very humble, even a cardboard box is a thing of luxury!

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Here is the flight this morning (do not judge the weedfulness!) What a ton of growth!

Ron
That is just awful Ron! :old You should be a shamed of yourself. :lol:

What a nice set up for these ladies! Mind I join in
cockwalk.gif
? Oh I see Buck would not like that!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron,

that is a beautiful set up - I love it. Ok, I did think about honeysuckle because I do have coral honeysuckle but it doesn't grow very fast. Is that honeysuckle on the top of the run? I definitely wouldn't mind if mine looked like that! It wouldn't be a problem for me to put some kind of partial top on the run for the honeysuckle to grow on.

As far as a tree in the run - In their old run I had a silver leaf maple and I nearly lost it. They scratched up the roots and and all the poop nearly killed it.

I see you have something growing in your run, how is that possible? Anything green wouldn't last a day with my chickens!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grape vines. Not only will you get shade, you will get treats for you and the chickens!
1002754cp0.jpg

1003520b.jpg

There is an outdoor couch and a swing under the big vine on the right. So far I have frozen 25# of grapes from the vine on the right alone. The one on the left wont have ripe grapes for another week or so.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah, inside the run itself is a crab-plum; a plum pit put in the ground creating a tree that does not fruit well. It does produce tiny plums which I let fall to the ground and the chickens gobble them up.

I got the tree when it was about 3ft tall from a friend who did not know what it was. I was a sucker for a sucker for sure! LOL

However, if there is ever going to be a place for a junk tree, a chicken run is the place to go.

Hoping this helps in your solution.

Another option would be to put a central pole in the flight extending up to about 6 to 7 ft (tall enough to stand under it. Attach arms to it, much like what you would see with a 'naked' umbrella, or the skeleton of the umbrella (not a real umbrella, just a pole with attached arms outstretched like an umbrella). Then plant something like Wisteria or grapes, something that can climb the pole and then reach out across the outstretched arms to create a living canopy. I once saw this at a Japanese Garden display where they made a living umbrella....it was drop dead gorgeous in bloom (Wisteria).

Here is a pic of something similar but made from bent rebar
DCP_3905.jpg

It is an interesting design (the one pictured) because the plant itself is in a cage. This would definitely solve any chicken scratching problems. I think this one is a bit wide, but it doesn't have to be.

Ron

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wonderful ideas! thank you. :ya wifezilla are grapes picky or hard to grow? I'd plant some too if I could get 25 lbs of grapes!!

Its been raining here for 3 days now so as soon as it stops, I'm going to yank up the shrubs and erect a top for something to grow on!

Luna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Grape vines. Not only will you get shade, you will get treats for you and the chickens!
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5355/1002754cp0.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/58/1003520b.jpg
There is an outdoor couch and a swing under the big vine on the right. So far I have frozen 25# of grapes from the vine on the right alone. The one on the left wont have ripe grapes for another week or so.
I was thinking of planting a grapevine next to my run next spring! that looks wonderful.

Sam The Yam

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How about building a nice arbor out of redwood or cedar and putting a sunshade over it or as the others have done plant grapes, cats claw, or other vines that would serve as shade and security.

Latest posts