Getting to Be HARVEST Time for Strawberries!!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i just uncovered mine of its winter mulch...so I have a ways to go before I get to pick any...but they will be yummy when I do...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Strawberries are another thing that once I had them fresh, I don't ever bother with them in the grocery store. That's why people have to put all sorts of sugar on them - because the grocery store ones are giant strawberry-shaped rocks!
I agree with you curlykate,
Grocery store strawberries can't compete with fresh from the garden strawberries. What a difference in sweetness and flavor with the garden fresh. I would rather wait for a harvest of strawberries out in the garden then try buying some at the store.

luvmygoose

Sprout
Reaction score
I just uncovered mine too and fertilized for the first time this Sunday. I'm in zone 6, wonder why mine are so much later than many others in the same zone???

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I covered mine with leaves last fall and when I uncovered them when the temp was right I had lost over 50 of my 60 plants, what a bummer that was, I think the leaves smothered them, next time I'll use straw...:(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw an ad for a u-pick strawberry farm not too far from here. I haven't done that in years; may go on Friday if it doesn't start raining first thing. I'd love to take two of my grand daughters with me, but we would probably get charged double for the ones that end up in our tummy. And I am now picturing the damage a 4 and a 5 year old could do to a strawberry patch. Maybe not a good idea. The 4 year old is like a bull in a china closet anyway. Maybe I'll just go by myself. :/

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are very fortunate (and spoiled) to have lots of little Hmong farms around our area. They grow the most amazing strawberries (and other goodies)! There are roadside stands all over the place here, so I haven't even tried to grow any of my own yet. Obviously, it is more expensive to buy them than grow them, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort when my time is at a premium and there are plenty of other things I can grow.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My new-this-year Jewel strawberries are producing. Not enough for jam or preserves, so what do you do with a few handfuls of strawberries? Ice cream, of course!

(We have a little Cuisinart ice cream maker -- it makes about a quart at a time which is *perfect* for the two of us.)

-Wendy

Latest posts