Giant Figs!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting article @jay dee. The horizontal trench plantings were especially so.

Around here, (where I don't know of any fig trees) one of the big issues with plant survival through winter is soil moisture. If plants go into winter with dry soil they rarely come back thriving in spring. They may survive it, but it's a setback, and usually always fatal to new plantings without a lot of root structure.

Even deciduous trees that aren't losing moisture through transpiration.

Roots are active in the winter and need a certain moisture content in the soil. Plants in the rain shadow of a house can be especially vulnerable because while the general planting areas are well watered by rain or snow melt we won't always remember to check those plantings under eaves.

Just mentioning soil moisture as a possible contributor to tree failure.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
How is your lemon tree doing?

The few leaves it still has are dark green and healthy, but it sure lost a lot of them. It's under a grow light for 12 hours a day. I think it will be very happy when the days get warm enough to start spending some hours outside.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 I have had good luck with Chicago hardy I can mail you some branches suppose to root very easy. I have most in pots that I put in unheated shed,

Oh, that would be cool. Thanks! :) Must be hardier than Brown Turkey if they are thriving up where you are.

chefsdreams

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
we had a little korean lady living in our nieghborhood who had a fig tree and would soak them in some korean distilled spirit (kind of like brandy). oh, man... bet you can't eat jst one?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I love figs! Fresh or canned, doesn't matter. I put up some figs 2 years ago. I did whole figs and preserves. They were so good! I can't wait till I have enough from my own trees to can.

I have 2 Texas Everbearing figs I planted last year. Both did really well and put out 2 crops of figs last year. I brought home another TE fig. I was wanting to get a Celeste, but they didn't have any of those.
Everbearing-Fig-450w.jpg

Growing Zones: 7-11
(hardy down to 10℉)

7-11_large.gif

You are in Growing Zone: 7

They, this lovely fig, should grow here on the high desert! That would be so fine! I love figs!

Lot's a good things are in and come from Texas!

Latest posts