Giant Marconi Peppers

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
These peppers really are giants, and, they are fantastic fried or roasted.

giantmarconi-1.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
From your greenhouse, Jack?

I grow them in the garden but they never get to that size! I am wondering if you can grow volleyball size bells!

The Giant Marconi is my favorite. There are others that are more productive but none as tender and flavorful, IMO.

One catalog says that Marconi (standard) isn't really the parent and I suppose that is true. Still, Marconi is a good Italian Sweet. I guess that all the Caribbean-named sweet peppers are also in the Italian family. Or, since peppers are New World veggies - the Italian came from the Caribbean gene pool :). If I've got that right.

I'm very pro-Italian Sweet . . . maybe you can tell ;). But anyway, that is one fine looking pepper, Jack :cool:.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are getting big-not that big!! I thought they were going to turn red? Should I be using them green??

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have used them both red and green, large and small, and they are very sweet and mild. I found that I get more peppers by picking them when they are green. Allowing them to turn red really makes them taste terrific, however, you give up some productivity. The pepper in the photo was grown in my soil garden; the peppers in the greenhouse were picked weeks ago. These are hybrids so I don't save seeds. That said, I also grow Corno Di Toro peppers that are very similar in size and taste. Seeds for those peppers are easy to obtain, as they are heirlooms. I was never a fan of green peppers until I began to grow these babies. I forgot to mention that I pour the used hydroponic solution from the greenhouse on the peppers in the soil garden and it seems to help them along. :p
Jack

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just one of those made into chili rellenos would make a meal.
You are absolutely right, and I never thought of that! I love chilli rellenos!! Thanks for the suggestion.