Giant Marigolds...and they really are big !

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is the 2nd year I have planted Giant Marigolds in my garden and am amazed at the quality of the plant and the abundance of bloooms. I have already cut multiple marigold stems from these 2 plants and brought them into the house. The plants grow to about 4 feet tall, with 2-3 inch blooms. I started these from seed and transplanted into the garden when they were about 2" tall.

Anne

5365_flying_and_zinnias_032.jpg

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WOW Never seen such big marigolds :ep Diffently save seed for yourself and to swap with... I sure would jump at a chance to get some of them... :weee Nice garden too :clap

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey, if you tell me how to harvest and save the seeds, I would be happy to send some to you. I have never done that before, just purchased them. I love learning new stuff.

Anne

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When the flowers dry up the heads are full of seeds, just roll the dried flowers between your fingers and the seed will come out. Put them in a baggie for next yr.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, Anne! Those are gorgeous! I have some in my garden that I thought were pretty tall, but yours top them by quite a bit! If you save enough seeds, I'd love to get some from you as well!

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would be happy to send you seeds now that I know how to harvest. Seems pretty simple. Please pm me with an address and it would be my pleasure to send.

Anne

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
adondro, they are absolutely beautiful. They look terrific with your sunflowers.

To get seeds from them, just let the marigold heads dry up completely until they turn a dark papery brownish gold . The flower heads will also droop downwards when dry. I cut the dried flower heads and as nccountry girl says..just roll the dried flower between your fingers and the seeds wll come apart. I do this over a paperbag so they fall in. And store the seeds for next year. Most giant marigolds, like the Crackerjack variety are not HYbrids. So they should be true to type from seed. They are very easy to grow and start from seed.
I grow them every year from seed and get a mixed variety of colors from orange, gold, and yellow. They look good all summer and even into late fall.

Again, beautiful pictures of your plants!:)