Giant Pumpkins

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi my name is SCG and I have a pumpkin fetish. I appear to have overdid it just a bit and bought seeds for 9 different types of pumpkins this year.

Most of them haven't survived, however.

The good news is though that one of my "Prizewinner Hybrid" seedlings has made it and it now has a female bloom that was fertilized two days ago. The flower is just about dried up.

Have I mentioned each year I've tried to get a pumpkin that's fair worthy... and failed miserably (poor weather, stupid groundhog...)

Now... how to fertilize? I've got some chicken poop tea that's been brewing for about 2 months now. I tried 10 ml on a weed and the weed is growing well... like a weed. How often would you fertilize?

No, I've never had my soil tested :hide but last fall I threw in a bunch of manure and shavings from the chicken coop and tilled it in. I could still see the shavings this spring when I tilled it up again.

Any advice you could give... thanks

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try googling "Growing giant pumpkins" or the like, you're bound to come up with a bevy of techniques.
Here's a site from experienced fellow pumpkin fetishers;

http://www.backyardgardener.com/wcgp/tips/10steps/10steps.html

I know that it's not easy to get a prize winner, my boys tried growing huge ones for a few years, and all we got were big ones. But the pie was good!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
People go to great extents to get those giant pumpkins. I have heard some inject milk into the stems?? I think your manure tea should be fine on the pumpkins. I have grown 70-80 pounders which thrilled me- but wouldn't have won a prize! Good luck!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did a few things this year to get a jump on getting some big pumpkins. I started them in peat pots early, so they were well developed when they went into the ground. I've also placed an inverted 2L bottle in the ground near my big pumpkins. I cut the bottom of the 2L bottle so it serves as a funnel. I pour my water soluable solution right down that funnel to help keep the water off the leaves, yet still keep it close to the plant to soak up all the nutrients it can.

We'll see how it goes....maybe we should have a giant pumpkin contest on here too.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I'm late to the game then. Haven't even got my seeds into the ground.

Sadly, mine never survive the vine borers... so I have no 'good' advice anyways! lol :lol:

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, and the link. Once to twice a week for fertilizing was what I was looking for. I had googled "giant pumpkins" but hadn't really gotten the answer other than "fertilize often" - so thanks again.

I love the idea of a giant pumpkin contest on here! I'll start a thread once I make breakfast.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hmmm it's not letting me start a threat right now for some reason - it goes to the "post something to sell" instead.

And I'm having all kinds of problems this morning, my name is linking to BYC too...

Oh well... I'll start a thread when I get home from work if all's right with TEG.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah SCG, Nifty was updating last night and I haven't seen it finished yet. Notice the top image up there yet? ;) Big changes are coming!

Mis3836

Sprout
Reaction score
I want to try this been trying unsuccessfully to get a giant going. Hopefully maybe this year.

I am in SC put me down please

Thanks
Joanie

Latest posts