GIANT PUNKIN CONTEST 2013 all cucurbitaceae!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just remembered while reading about Rebettzin's Squash vine growing on a clothes line, and realized there has not been a post for a giant pumpkin contest yet this year.

I'm not growing any squash this year, but I'd sure like to see a giant pumpkin/squash contest get started!

Basically the same easy rules as last year. I vote for allowing all Cucurbitaceae into the contest.

Watermelons
Cantaloupe/Honeydews
Cucumbers
All Squashes, summer, winter
Gourds of all kinds
Wax melons
All oriental/asian melons
Luffas
those chimamoy...however it's spelled! :p
Any cucurbitaceae...gherkins...<<<if one of those wins...wow!

If chemicalgirl is here, let her be in charge if she wants :p I'll just get the initial instigating going.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crud- you just reminded me, I didn't plant any gourds! I do have a few pumpkins started... we will see if they are still alive next month!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can we rename this Cucurbitaceae contest!?

I'm growing mini pumpkins this year on purpose since my giant one's never even make it to flower before something destroys them! But don't mess with my watermelon, I got that all day long here. :D

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in again. This time I started my pumpkins inside and transplanted to the garden so I have a jump on it compared to last years disaster. Now I just need luck and good fortune and I will get one in the contest for once lol.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hope i am not to late to enter..

my tigger melons bit the dust, so replanted with crimson sweet watermelons

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Crimson should do good for you major. Mine ripen pretty small though, usually its only enough for 2 of use to share a crimson.

I'm going to throw in some more of those orange-glo watermelons this year then. Last year we grew a 44 lb melon last year! :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the feeling the punkin contest winner this year will be an orange glo watermelon!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
44 pound watermelon bet you were proud of that one. crimson is the right size for us, gone with no leftovers....
but always like a good challenge there is always next year....:cool:

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As tempting as this is, I'll pass on entering. It just doesn't seem fair. ;) I'll just watch and cheer on the growers.

Latest posts