Gigantic green worm thing eating my tomatoes

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Look what I found. It ate two tomatoes but then I fed it to the ducks. I have never seen anything this big before.

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Tomato hornworm I think?

This will be the first summer we've had chickens and they will be in for a treat when I see these on my tomatoes!

I believe there is a parasitic wasp that lays it's eggs on the hornworm too. You will find them with the egg cases "stuck" to their back.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep thats definely a Hornworm. I'm sure the ducks enjoyed them!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Yep thats definely a Hornworm. I'm sure the ducks enjoyed them!!
Yep I get them... I plants marigold and calendula to help deter them this year... Andy is right!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i have never seen a hornworm before, they're absolutely immense! i still have to get some more marigolds for the garden...frost killed the ones in my water melon and cuke patches lol.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If any of them develop little white cocoons hanging on them, don't kill them, that's a parasitic wasp, once you have them, you'll have them forever - and never have much of a hornworm problem again.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
the problem w/wasps is that they do kill the hornworm but only after the hornworm has done his damage. When you see the white butterflies over your garden, they are the ones laying the eggs that become hormworms. Hornworms can destroy a complete tomato crop.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
the problem w/wasps is that they do kill the hornworm but only after the hornworm has done his damage. When you see the white butterflies over your garden, they are the ones laying the eggs that become hormworms. Hornworms can destroy a complete tomato crop.
That is not my experience at all. The hornworm is so weakened so quickly it does minimal damage. I've had the wasps for years, and get plenty of tomatoes off my plants - way more than I can deal with! It's a balance, something I always strive for in my garden.

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I think hornworms are the early stages of a moth (not a butterfly). I have planted marigolds, basil and borage in my garden (I've read all repel hornworms and the moths that lay the eggs). So far I have found few of them and they have become chicken feed. :D