Ginkgo?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has a ginkgo tree in their yard/garden. I don't, but would love one. I guess now I don't have enough years left to be able to enjoy one. Such slow growers!
I have seen a handful of ginkgo trees in the area...not many. They seem to hold their beautiful yellow fall leaves longer than other trees, then drop them all at once. It would be cool to be standing under the tree when that happened.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Nyboy. I think....
There is a huge old Ginkgo in a little near-ghost town about an hour from here. I used to go there to see clients, and loved to imagine the time when that little town prospered, back in the 1880s or so, and some forward-thinking person took the time to plant it. I don't think the folks who live in that house now know what a grand dinosaur they have in their front yard.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love Ginkos too So Lucky. I think their leaves are so graceful and artistic looking. I have planted two at this house. The first one died so I replaced it. I probably shouldn't have planted the second one in the same place, it lived a year, then died. I tried once more with a Cherokee Brave dogwood in the same spot and it lived two years before it died too. :(

I like to think it's the spot I planted them that has some anti-tree properties and not my bad gardening. :confused:

Last edited:

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I have 3 waiting to be planted. They are out in the fenced in area that we keep things we didn't plant yet or will sell one day...They are about 2 foot tall.

I will make a "bonsai forest" out of them..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those dancing leaves, their lovely colors, the carpeting of the ground beneath graceful branches inviting autumnal dancing of any other creature ...

You know what all that is good for?
  • Healthy minds,
  • Good memories,
  • and Optimism!
There is a gingko in a park nearby. That medium-size tree has a sign saying that it is right at 70 years old. DW was watching a YouTube video the other day, casting it on the TV. It showed a ginkgo with a sign saying it was planted in 1900. It was HUGE! Leaving me to wonder if life begins at 70 for a ginkgo.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure someone has already warned you about this, but make sure to get a MALE ginkgo tree. The fruits really DO smell pretty nasty (somewhere between throw up and spoiled cheddar cheese) and are only an advantage if you have Asian neighbors near you who are willing to collect them for the seeds (which have a fishy taste they are fond of) or, if you are really lucky, pay you for them (if you can give them a better price than what they pay in the markets, it could work.)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
so lucky, you have more than enough, you've the rest of your life. Trees are not planted by the very young. Plant this tree, planting it came to your mind for a, I'm sure, good reason~why you were chosen to plant this tree and where you'll plant it~well, where the inspiration came from may be important, having read your post sparked even my interest~I may plant one, because of you.