Giving away items

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's sad that during the lockdown I had people coming into my home and had to throw good items like aircon's and many other things that went anywhere but too those in need.

@baymule has brought joy to a few good people by passing on what was not necessary in her life.

Today was a joy for me, I had an old microwave which is still in good nick. So I called a homeless help team and they were thrilled too take it, they can give this too someone getting a home.

Up until now they were unable too take any electrical items but as of today they have what they call a pat tester person join their team. Plus they can tidy up anything that may need doing.

When I lost my home and found where I live now all I had was this microwave kettle a sofa and was reunited with the love of my life, my dog. This was all I cared about too survive .

It's such a good feeling that such a little thing will help someone else.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm steadily finding homes for items that I don't need or use. Today a neighbor is coming to buy a cedar chest (I have 2, so getting rid of 1) and I'm giving her a 4 drawer filing cabinet, they have a business and she needs it. And I found out their oldest son, 14, likes to play golf, so I'm giving him 2 golf bags and clubs.

Yesterday I filled a box with stuff to go to Goodwill. I also went through all the files I had in the filing cabinet and they joined the other papers that I will burn. That will be a dull boring day(s). I have 3 boxes and 1 trash bag of papers to burn.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
How much do you hate burning paper and how much time do you have? I remember hours in front of a burn barrel, not a lot of fun. I don't know what it costs but there are places that will shred your papers for you. Something to consider if time gets short.

sometimes credit unions or banks will have a paper shredding service that they'll have come in for the day and let their patrons use it too. much nicer than having to buy a shredder if you don't use it much.

i ended up buying one because i still have a lot of papers from college in boxes to get rid of and some old books too that nobody will ever read again (including me). college textbooks are not normally books you can donate to the library and these are so old they're way out of date. any that are interesting or good enough i'll keep with hopes that someone some day might read them again, but so many of them are just dry technical things that have been passed by with newer machines and better methods of doing things.