Glenn Cottage Eggery Rebuilding!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, it is Jan. 18th 20016 and I have started to rebuild Glenn Cottage Eggery!

Yesterday I put in a new patio area for watching Chicken TV.

I hope to put a bench much like this one in that area.

This morning I started putting my chicken run closest to the back door back together. And just as I finished securing the last side.... one of my neighbors called all frantic about a chicken in her backyard being stalked by a cat! So... I went over, chased the chicken for a bit, finally cornered it and carried it home! I just put a couple of "found" ads to see is anyone is missing a chicken. If nobody claims it... I guess I have my first chicken! Unless it is a rooster! Then I have to find a home for it. Do you think is is too horrible of me not to post the photo of the chicken in the ad, but to ask people to describe the chicken they lost? I mean, it would be easy to say "Yes, that is my missing chicken in the photo."
But... this bird is pretty easy to describe I would say...

Our new Great Pyrenees, Cherokee, he is one year old now. Wasn't quite sure he approved of this strange creature in HIS backyard.

This afternoon I started rebuilding the coop! What a job this is going to be! I took the old coop apart carefully, it was screwed together, and I saved all the screws. I am thinking it will go up much faster this time. Still a lot to do!!

Getting the foundation bricks level is not so fun!

I think I accomplished quite a bit in the past two days, hope to get the coop put together tomorrow.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So did your zoning change Rebbetzin? I think it's awesome that you get to start up again! Nice stonework you did. I laid a little walkway in my garden last summer, it was fun, but slightly aggravating to me trying to fit the stones well. My husband finally told me I was being too picky.

Will you be growing something between the stones?

And you have your first chicken! Maybe...

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So did your zoning change Rebbetzin? I think it's awesome that you get to start up again! Nice stonework you did. I laid a little walkway in my garden last summer, it was fun, but slightly aggravating to me trying to fit the stones well. My husband finally told me I was being too picky.

Will you be growing something between the stones?

And you have your first chicken! Maybe...
Yes in December the Tucson City Council, after a five year battle, changed the zoning!
I am putting Dichondra, and a tiny green succulent, and some other ground cover between the stones. Hoping one of them will work in that area. I will probably put up some shade cloth over the area in the summer to make it cooler for me and the chickens. Had one neighbor call about the chicken, she thought she might know who it belongs to. This fellow's chickens are always escaping! But, he called me to say when he got home from work, all his chicken were home safely. I will give it a few days to see if anyone claims it. Then maybe I will have my first chicken! I want to get some chicks once the coop and run are finished.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pretty sure that you have a Polish HEN!!!! And a nice one too. :thumbsup
The males' crest is usually much more spikey and droopy. I believe that color is called 'houdan'.
Awesome. I can't wait to see the whole thing completed again.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:clap Yay! Glad to hear they came to their senses about it! I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have chickens. I'd be so bored! :)

I think your chicken is a Mottled Houdan. I was going to get Ava some of those last year, but the hatchery I usually order from sold out. I'm hatching my own this year, but I may yet have to add a couple of those. Love the fancy hairdo! It looks like a healthy bird. Surely someone is missing it. Of course when a chicken goes missing, I usually assume the worst though, so maybe not. It looks like you may have a young cockerel there, judging from the tail feathers. The wattles aren't very red yet. I'm sure if it is, you will be hearing it crow before long.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pretty sure that you have a Polish HEN!!!! And a nice one too. :thumbsup
The males' crest is usually much more spikey and droopy. I believe that color is called 'houdan'.
Awesome. I can't wait to see the whole thing completed again.

I hope you are right, not me...a hen would be better!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another possibility for your pavers is Elfin thyme. It has a very tiny leaf and grows low and compact. Drought tolerant too, doesn't like too much water, and it smells nice when you walk on it!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so happy for you! How many chickens can you have and how long did you go without chickens? That sure is a pretty bird.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am very happy for you. You are doing a great job preparing for your chickens. I love the idea of a place for Chicken TV, but mine are truly free-range so they would probably make a mess of any space I chose for sitting.

I love the chicken. I think that it is the one I lost a day or two ago. You could send him/her back to me anytime.
Of course, I am teasing. Not my chicken. Sigh! It certainly is striking to look at.

Latest posts