Goats and tree damage

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My lovely sweet goats made my bad day even worse yesterday by getting out and eatting the bark off of a few of my lovely new trees. They pretty much ate the bark off all the way around both of my Yoshino Cherry trees. The Kwanzan Cherry trees also took a hit but nearly as severe. Is there any way to save those poor trees or are they total goners?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would wrap the trunks in cardboard to protect them from any bug and weather damage for right now. If protected well enough, I'm sure the trees will survive.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ShowMe31 said:
My lovely sweet goats made my bad day even worse yesterday by getting out and eatting the bark off of a few of my lovely new trees. They pretty much ate the bark off all the way around both of my Yoshino Cherry trees. The Kwanzan Cherry trees also took a hit but nearly as severe. Is there any way to save those poor trees or are they total goners?
If you are lucky enough to have shoots growing under the damage you can arch graft. If not, your only hope is a bridge graft. It's not the best time of year to do it but you have nothing to lose. Here is an excellent set of instructions from Ontario.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/98-003.htm#BRIDGE GRAFT

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks. I think after looking at that site that a couple these trees are goners. :barnie The damage is all the way around the trunks on the 2 Yoshino Cherry trees. It runs about 24" long so that would be some serious grafting. We just planted these 2 trees about 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering if Home Depot has any more. Luckily I got them for 1/2 price.

The damage on the 2 Kwanzan Cherry Trees isn't nearly as bad as I thought when I saw it last night. They damaged a branch severely, so I can just remove that and the other one looks they they might have been ready for their nap and left before they had time to damage more than a small area.

Why is it goats go after either you most favorite or your most expensive? The got a couple more little trees, but just some leaf removal, 2 Japanese Maples and a small redbud that my DD babied since she brought it home from school 2 years ago.

I've patched the fence until hubby gets home and we can put a better fix into place. They aren't on our property, I have them in the pasture on the foreclosed property next door because I couldn't take looking at the weeds that I could lose my big gelding in.

Latest posts