Goja Berry and Blueberry Juice.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They eventually spread out as far as they can, but in the first two years, they need about the same amount of space as a determinate tomato plant.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I looked into growing goji the best I could before starting all this... this is what I have found. I'm gorwing the Tibetain Lycium and after rereading and thinking of your comment I think I will keep them in the sunroom and not into our zone 3 weather this year. Next spring I will plant them and being larger they should do well going into a cold winter...

It seems that Tibetian and Chinese gogi offer different medicinal qualities and there are some issues that lead to confusion between Chinese and Tibetian Goji.

First, the Tibetan Goji berry and the Chinese Wolfberry are both Lycium berries. They look similar to one another and share the same pinyin name of Gou Qi Zi. Sharing the same pinyin name causes great confusion.

The Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum) has received much popularity in China. It is a widely cultivated export crop and highly regarded in China for its medicinal properties. In addition to being cultivated in the popular region of Ningxia, it is also cultivated on very large commercial farms in the regions of Hebei, Gansu, Qinghai, and Shanxi.

Many varieties of Lycium berries grow all over the world, but the highly revered Tibetan Goji berry grows ONLY in some areas of Tibet and mostly in Mongolian areas. Wolfberries do not grow in any abundance in the traditional Himalayan botanical collection areas where Goji berries grow. Never in the past have Wolfberries been referred to as 'Goji' berries, or visa versa. That is until recently. Now that the Tibetan lycium 'Goji' berry has gained worldwide recognition with strong market demand, the much more cheaply cultivated Chinese Lycium barbarum, or Wolfberry, is being passed off as the Tibetan Goji berry.

Another issue that has lead to confusion is the fact that in China, the Wolfberry is called Gou Qi Zi. People began to think that the name 'Goji' must be short for the Chinese name Gou Qi Zi; even though these two berries are different in size, taste, name and are grown in two different countries. The name 'Goji' only refers to the Tibetan Lycium variety of Lycium Chinensis.
http://www.tanaduk.com/research6.html

Now I can not be absolutley positive as to where the truth lies on this issue of quality and type of berry but according to Chinese medicine the Chinese berry and the Tibetian berry have some different effects in the body.. as explained further in the link I provide.....but do not fear if you planted the Chinese wolfberry for it is very good for you to, just in slighly different ways than the Tibetian Goji

they will grow into zone 3.

Chinese Lycium barbarum - wolfberry
larger, oblong/ sour, acid after taste
Chinese name is Gou Qi Zi (not goji)

Fructus Lycium Chinensis - Goji (Tibetian Lycium)
smaller, rounder / sweeter
Also known as phangma

This page has studies related to goji berry. Seems a fair amount of research has been done.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=goji berry

The first year of a goji plants life is the hardest. Its at its weakest point when its young and is vulnerable to the cold. After that year, however, it becomes a hardy plant that needs less attention. Its significantly more likely to survive the harsh winters and will grow big, thick stems to retain its strength. To maintain its health and nutrition, its recommended to fertilize the plant. Under these conditions, the plant will thrive and grow large, so the keeper may want to keep it pruned and under control. If taken care of, the plant will produce bigger and better berries with every passing year.

Growing plants at home is easy and provides quite a few benefits. People will admire the attention the plants have received and inquire about secrets for nurturing good berries. Ones home will also benefit from the fresh fruit and clean air a little extra greenery provides. Growing fruit at home will also save all the money otherwise spent at the local farmers market. Sometimes it may be a little hard when gardening for the first time, but with some practice and a little patience, anyone can grow their own food.

http://www.gojiberriesblog.com/2010/...-goji-berries/

These berries can be grown anywhere, in any type of soil or climate. For that you need to have the following things: Seed of the plant, a particular area where you want to grow it, soil, water, access to ample amount of sunlight.

Once you have arranged for all these things, you need to plant the seeds in the soil. It would be better if the soil is organic in nature. The plant should be kept inside for the at least 6 months. Goji plants remain very fragile in their initial years and need utmost care along with a lot of water and sunlight. You can shift the plant outside in the garden after 6 months. You should have patience as goji plants do not produce berries for the first 2 years. It is important to prune your plant on a regular basis as it will help to yield a higher crop. Try to keep away your plant from animals to avoid damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40mvty0EM2o

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you gardenerd. From flavor description I'm over them. Saved me a lot of problems.

Latest posts