Goji Berries?

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello, everyone

I joined a while ago but haven't posted yet. I've been lurking on the BYC forum for a while.

I've been trying to germinate some seeds and among them, are goji berries. I'm not haveing the best luck so far but I just wanted to bring it up to see if anyone have any opinions about growing goji berries.

I bought some seeds from ebay and then another set from another site that says they have a very high germination rate. The first set germinated but most of them got really tall and skinny, with only their first set of leaves, no true leaves and then they seemed to stop growing. Most of them have died or seem to be dieing.

The other set, havent germinated yet but, the first set took forever to germinate so I assume they take a while. I'm useing the peat pots in my basement with a full spectrum light. I try to keep the pots moist but not soggy. Am I using too much water? Is temperature a factor? The basement is still staying to the 60* range or below. Thanks for any advice.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They prefer to dry out between waterings and like really well drained soil. Soggy or even moist soils can slow growth and even kill them.

It is recommended that you allow them to germinate them first in just water and then transfer them to a soil medium. Careful not to fertilizer since this can have an adverse affect on seedlings. They require lots of full sun to grow to their maximum potential so be sure that you are providing plenty of sun.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope that it works out for you, Jmk! :)

Will you update us on them? I've been on the fence about them for a few months now.

They command a high price, which is attractive to me as a small sideline, plus I'd have my own supply. I'd love to hear an actual accounting from someone growing them! :)

Good luck! :happy_flower

Latest posts