goji berries

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read about them from Michigan Bulb Company. they have them for $10. Do you need 2 or will 1 pollinate itself?

Got email from Michigan BC, they are self fertile.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just got some transplants from someone I found locally on craigslist. She said used to go to CRFG (California Rare Fruit Grower) events so she had all sorts of neat stuff I liked. She orginally got her first cuttings from a nursery in S.D. The variety of goji or wolfberry is (Lycium barbarum.) I got 4 plants for $20 since I wanted more than one. I was interested in multiple plants for insurance in case the chickens decided to do anything to them, therefore she gave me a deal. Goji is in the Solanaceae (nightshade) family of plants, so I doubt they will bother it much.

The lady told me the general care for the plants is similar to tomatoes, but goji is more invasive like mint or bermuda grass when the plants are healthy and happy. She said seed often takes 3 to 4 years before the plants are ready to start bearing fruit. Cutting and transplants should bear fruit the first year. She keeps her 3 main goji plants in 15 gallon sized pots. This is what she took the rooted transplants from.

Latest posts