Good News & Bad News & Good News and Good & Bad News

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
First the good news; OldGal and I are going to expand our tiny chicken business to include ducks. :)

Now the bad news; We need to expand the run to accommodate the ducks and the obvious place is my garden since it's contiguous with the current chicken run. That's three years of soil prep shot. :(

And the good news; This time I have cluckers to help. I figure I can get started by just building a temporary fence around my new garden area and let "nature's little bulldozers" clear out the grass and weeds and break up the sod. Less work for me. :)

Now the good and bad news. No, I will not be leaving EG. I plan on hanging around. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Decomposed sod is . . .

wonderful for amending garden soil, OG!

It is good to have you around.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am grateful for my ducks... so be excited!!!

There little poo machines are perfect for the garden too... and the air-rate for ya... and they just rock!

Mine free range so they are little destroyers of my newly planted beds, the brats! However, During the summer I put out kiddie pools for them and then scoop that water to give the plants. Nice little boost in the summer heat! Not to mention, they've been great slug control in my strawberry beds... and around my fruit trees.

LOVE DUCKS! Congrats!

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here's the Good and Bad news from somebody who breeds and keeps ducks...

Good news: Ducks do more weed-eating than chickens do, and scratch less, and the can't fly into your lilac bush and befoul the flowers with leavings...

and Bad news: They can dig much better than you can. Make sure if you let them weed, do it before you water - if they find any mud, that patch of ground is history.

Latest posts