Good News For Chicken Owners

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am also @waretrop I am going to build another smaller coop to keep
more chickens
See if somebody is selling a 12' x 12 or 10' x 10' dog enclosure on Craig's List. The go up fast and you can buy netting to put on top. Most predators can't get in and they are made of stainless steel, no rust, no rot. :D

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
actually there is a guy on craigs list giving away taken down hipping crates 7 ft tall
7 ft wide about 40 of them.. texted him going sunday for a truck load

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@PennyJo My hubby, the shopahaulic, keeps allot of chain link fence on hand for future use...He is always looking on craigslist for that stuff...and flee markets and garage sales.

@ducks4you I do keep a heavy netting over my chickens..can you see it on the left upper side of this picture???

1028140735b.jpg

We also put tarp over the netting in the summer. We have to worry about avian flu so they have a shaded area in the summer...LOL

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Boy that netting is the best!!! I was sold on it bc there is a pheasant hatchery a few miles away and THEY use it for their 4 enclosures. You wouldn't think it would discourage hawks and owls, but it really does.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
as of yet there have been no aerial attack on the girls and they have full access
to the are we fenced as a garden our dogs cannot get in there Snow our pyrenees
is the only one with them