Good Soil Prep for Potatoes

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to grow some potatoes this year and I'm thinking of mixing these four things together for the soil: 1/4 sand, 1/4 topsoil, 1/4 peat moss, and 1/4 compost. Then I'm thinking of growing them in fabric bags. Any thoughts on this?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have and still do use bags for certain things but the problem with them is how shallow they are! Even 20 gallon bags are only 12-14 inches tall. Maybe with mounding up quite a bit you’d be ok, There are some large nursery pots that may be an option too, and they are far easier to move; if you have to relocate them.

Add Neam seed meal to your mix.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
skip the peat moss is my first thought. it provides little in the way of nutrition and in containers it can be a real challenge to rewet once it gets dry.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have and still do use bags for certain things but the problem with them is how shallow they are! Even 20 gallon bags are only 12-14 inches tall. Maybe with mounding up quite a bit you’d be ok, There are some large nursery pots that may be an option too, and they are far easier to move; if you have to relocate them.

Add Neam seed meal to your mix.
Thank you very much for those tips! 😊

Latest posts