GOOD things about winter

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So as y'all may have guessed, I am NOT a fan of winter in general, January in particular, or extremely cold and snowy Januarys if we're to put a fine point on it. Anyway, I'm trying to compose a list of the things that I like about winter.

1. It's nice to not feel guilty about a day spent laying around.
2. Reading in front of the fireplace is nice.
3. On a clear day, the snow makes for some pretty pictures.

Ummmm....

OK, so help me out. What are the things you like about winter?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that the snow makes everything look so perfectly tidy, at least for a little while!

And I love seeing all the birds at my feeders this time of year. They really entertain me and brighten the day.

It's nice to have the extra time to work on getting the house organized and thoroughly cleaned. That time would have otherwise been spent pulling weeds and working in the garden.

I get to do more reading.

The kids and I have been doing a lot of craft projects lately since we have been so cooped up.

I've also been on a baking spree...which may not qualify as a good thing, come to think of it! I'll be like Steve, trying to work it all off in the garden months from now. ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My birthday?

Nope, that hasn't been worth going through January since I was 18. The older I get the less I like the cold, dark, windy, snow/sleet/slush of winter.

Okay, here goes...

1. Seeing a fresh blanket of snow covering the tree branches is beautiful.
2. Waking up to a world of crystal glistening from trees, shrubs, and fence lines makes the world seem delicate and magical.
3. Making snow creations with the grands after a perfect packing snow.

Sprinkler Buddy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We don't get the snow down here in FL but Winter knocks the mosquito population back as well as the love bugs and other insects. That's what I like most about Winter in the South, that and most days I can still wear a short sleeve shirt most of the Winter too.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Job security for me? Slip and falls on the ice and car wrecks on the ice mean tons of xrays......

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm, the grizzly bears hibernate so less likelyhood of being eaten by one? Ohyeah...there was that snowboarder killed by a grizzly 10 or so years ago, nevermind that one...

OH! I got it! My gym membership gets more use. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
No ticks, no chiggers, no poison ivy, no sweat running down your nose and dripping off when you are trying to work outside. No steering wheels that are too hot to hold on to. No melted lipstick when you leave your purse in the car. Remember last year the invasion of Buffalo gnats? So, no buffalo gnats. As sprinkler buddy said, no mosquitos. No wasps, no yellow jackets, no hornets, no sweat bees.
(Here in southeast Missouri, we have all the pests :/)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In winter, I have different weeds in the garden. They die back when it gets hot and the summer weeds take over. :barnie

I can grow broccoli, cauliflower, English peas, turnips, mustard greens, lettuce, carrots, cabbage and green onions in the winter. Summer or even early spring they bolt or burn up.

Latest posts