Gooseberries

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all, so I bought and planted 2 gooseberries this year for Mom on a whim, because she wanted gooseberries. Thing is, neither of us have ever had them before. I don't think I will get any berries this year, but what do you do with them? Do you eat them raw? Cook them? I used to have a very elderly customer at the grocery store who would always get so upset around holidays because we never had gooseberry pies, so I am assuming they can be cooked down into pie filling.

Help, please!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we lived in Denmark and rented, the owner had some gooseberry bushes. I never maintained them at all except for a little weeding. I do not recall pruning them. I can't remember eating them raw but I probably did, at least a taste. My wife made jelly with them, pretty good. I'm sure a pie would be delicious too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Prairie Rose :frow .

We used to take a long drive to visit my aunt - going from southern Oregon, through the Coast Range, to the California coast. Once you are on the ocean side, gooseberries grow wild.

As we started down the hill, there was a little restaurant that served coffee and gooseberry pie. Sometimes, we were there for lunch. Always, we had the pie.

I remember that fondly and checked the other day. The restaurant is still there. I hope it still serves pie :).

Yes. I understand your customer being upset about there being no gooseberry pie.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

How to Eat Gooseberries​

Red gooseberries are sweeter than green, but still carry a sour note. These are great for jams and pies, and would be a great substitute for rhubarb in any recipe. Green gooseberries are less ripe, but they can still be enjoyed for their sour flavor; use them to replace Granny Smith apples in your favorite pie.
Related: Browser our entire collection of Berry Recipes.

Latest posts