Got a Bad Back?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dh says the best part about yoga for him, is child's pose. The rest of class is pretty painful, but he feels like a new man afterwards...I don't have any major back problems- but I believe yoga can really keep you young and gardening. It is so easy to stop moving... our bodies weren't meant for sitting around. If I can ever retire- I plan to do yoga everyday!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Child's Pose, that is kind of a basic, isn't it? I can do a sort of modified version of that, due to my knees not wanting to bend that far. My most relief-giving poses for my back are the "cat and camel" at least that's what I call them. On all fours, stretch your back down like a cat does, hold for a few seconds, then stretch up like a camel hump, or a Halloween cat.
The paradoxical thing about exercise when you start getting old or frail, is that it hurts to do those moves, but it hurts even more if you don't. "Experts" say don't do it if it hurts. Well, that would really limit activities, wouldn't it?:/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never really thought of yoga.

Google images of "child's pose" . . . there are slight variations including ones with pillows. I read a description of the pose. There's more to this than looking!

I wonder if would be something for an audio book. Look at the pose then listen for the instructions on how to get into it . . . . and out of it. I might be able to do that with headphones. Hey!! I like this idea!

Steve
miranda's stretching program is too hard to find on the teevee this winter! 2 shows only during the week, at different times! dang, must have 6 or 7 public teevee stations & that's the best they can do?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I think there are some good DVDs out there for beginning yoga. Or maybe free classes in your town. If you haven't yet tried it, you may be pleasantly surprised at the results. Just don't over do it first thing. The poses look effortless, but can really make you sore if you aren't ready for the full extension.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So lucky - the cat & camel are the best thing for my lower back issues - bulging discs, sciatic pain. I also like up dog and down dog routines, and some of the twisting poses. If i did it every day i probably wouldnt have any pain. You can sometimes find free yoga routines to watch on youtube or netflix. I think as far as the pain goes - its good to feel like you're doing something - wow, i really feel that stretch in my glutes, or whatever. But OWW! or sharp pain is bad. Dont go that far :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something about "Classical Stretch" was that I could just watch & imitate.

The captioning would be going but I'd only need to look at it from time to time. DW would always be asleep but I didn't need the volume up. Besides, the captioning covered the floor and gave me an excuse to not do the floor exercises :p.

Yoga - I kinda fairly well think that one spends a lot of time looking at the floor or ceiling. One better be able to hear the instructor & there won't be any lip-reading going on. I can see that there are quite a few movements necessary to achieve the "pose."

I will study these things: cat camel up dog down dog. They got any rock brick wood?

Steve :rolleyes:

Latest posts