Got my beehive

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen hives painted in every color of the rainbow- and even with flowers painted on them. Mine happen to be white. Staining yours would be fine... Good luck!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
and set it up last night - I just need bees. I want to attend the bee meeting next Tuesday before I order bees (hoping I'm not to late) to gain more knowledge and get it right. The more I learn, the more questions I have. :rolleyes: Maybe I'm overthinking this - I'm sure the bees will know what to do. I'd like to stain the hive a warm color - any suggestions on what I can use?

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4898_gardening_033.jpg
That is a work of art.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
kevs-chickadees said:
I wish! I'd like to get into the bee thing and my trees could sure use it, but I can't find any local classes or anything. I know they exist here just can't hook up with one.:( Well good luck and have fun!
Call your local state extension service.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my BIL was talking yesterday about getting into bees! i never thought he would be into that since he's not much of a gardener but they have tons of stuff flowering nearby that the bees could collect from if he did start a colony. i suggested seeing if there was a local club since i've been reading up on this stuff since being on TEG.

the few hives i've seen in our area are painted white, but i do like the idea of staining them and poly the outside.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern Gardner - I cannot keep the ants out of some of my hives. But I have built a new hive stand where the stand has only one center post set into the ground like a fence post (I used some treated 30" long 6"x6" post scraps) about a foot tall. The hive bottom board sets on top of a simple wooden platform on the post. I use a putty knife to smear a 2" wide +/- band of grease all around the post about 4" above the ground. It's easy to re-apply and ants don't like to travel across the grease. I'm sure you could use some other stuff but grease is something that is always handy around the farm here.

One of the beeks in our club uses steel pipe for his posts and welds a plate on top to set the hive but I don't like to fight the rusting issues. I guess aluminum or stainless would be good but very pricy. I'll stick with wood.

I received a call last night from a lady where I have a swarm trap in her yard. She says there are thousands of bees coming and going at the trap. When it warms up this afternoon I'm going to go pick up the trap. But first I have to make sure I have several hive boxes ready to swing into action. I never seem to have enough boxes, frames, and foundation. Oh well, I guess it's back out to the shop to build more. Now, let's see, where is that pile of lumber? Oh yeah, I used it to build grand kids toys. Bummer!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smiles - that is a good idea on the 6x6 post - I know I'll have a big problem with ants. So you build your own hive boxes? That is great and less expensive I'm sure! What is a swarm trap?

I'm going to my bee meeting tonight to meet everyone and possibly get bees. :bee Can't wait.

One more question: Do I need to stain the inside of the hive boxes or just the outside? I started last night but didn't get finished. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A swarm trap is kind of like a nuc box (about the same size) with 3 to 5 old drawn comb frames inside. The box is typically deeper than a regular hive box. There is a top, or lid that opens up like a lid on a plastic storage tub. There is an entrance hole near the bottom and a "quick closer" type of door. I usually have several ventilation holes with screen covers in each end near the top. These ventilation not only provide ventilation but they also allow the pheromone scent to drift out to allure the scout bees. I also use lemon grass sometimes to lure the bees. The pheromone is available in tiny veils from the beek suppliers.

When a swarm moves into a trap box I usually spray water on the bees at the entrance (they think it's raining and go inside) then I snap the little door closed and I have a complete colony of bees. Preparation of a new colony usually includes a bottom board, a deep hive box with 5 to 7 new frames and foundation, an inner top, an empty deep hive box, a top feeder screen with two half-gallon Mason jars with either a 50/50 mix of water/sugar or 75/25 honey/water to feed the new colony.

I usually like to allow the new colony settle into the trap box for several days to start working on the old frames to get new brood started. Then when I put the frames into the new(er) hive box the frames are usually covered with bees. I close up the hive and dump the remaining bees onto the ground in front of their new hive. It's amazing how they scamper into the new hive to join their buddies inside. Depending on the time of year, the temperature, the current bloom, and the temperament of the colony I will keep them closed in the hive for several days. Then I will open the entrance in the bottom board with an entrance restricter. I leave about a 1" wide opening for a week or two so that only a few entrance guard bees are necessary. If the weather is warm and there is a good bloom in progress I open the bottom board completely after a few weeks.

Within a month I usually get into the hive to mark the queen and do a thorough inspection of the conditions in there. I also check for beetles and mites at this time. I use screened bottom boards and carefully examine the sticky board for signs of mites.

I would not paint or varnish the inside of a hive. The chemicals might be harmful. The bees will coat the interior of the hive with a very thin layer of propolis as they inspect every square inch of their new home.

I hope I have not bored you with all this info.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bored?!!! Are you kidding! The more I learn the more fascinated I am by these creatures!

Sis and I went to the bee meeting last night and we had a blast! The members were the friendliest bunch of people I've ever met. Everyone was VERY helpful and invited us to watch them work the hives on Saturday. We'll be buying bees from one of the members, but he won't have anymore until June, which is fine that will give us a chance to visit other members hives.

Smiles, one of the members brought a swarm trap last night and did a presentation on it - very cool!

Latest posts