Got My First Corn Sprout

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went to water all the plants this morning and I have my first corn sprout. Its only just poking up out of the dirt but its there. There was another corn planting beside it with its root exposed and growing fuzz. I had gotten curious yesterday and uncovered two of these plantings and found one pushing its way up and the other just starting to form its sprout. Well the one on the way up has broke through and the other started growing its root above the surface. I dug up that one and replanted it right side up. It has the beginnings of a sprout so I am hopeful.

I also added a sweet potato vine to my garden, but I haven't planted it yet. Can it be in a container? And I also added thyme since my grandmother uses it in cooking. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and friday, so no watering the plants for me on those days. :) I can't wait till I start seeing some carrot sprouts. Oh and I also got a tomato plant. So now I have cherry tomato plants and a big tomato plant.

This is so much fun. I think even my husband had a little fun when I got him to plant the cherry tomatoes for me (suddenly our backyard had a bunch of wasps and I'm allergic.)

papadekaitlyn

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can container grow sweet potatos, but you will need a large container. Also as the plant vine grows I would add more soil around it to provide more area for new roots (and taters) to grow as the plant grows.

I have grown red potatos in tire stacks quite well many times. I start with one tire and when the plant reaches about 2 feet tall I add another tire around it and fill it with soil as well as more slow release fertilizer.

I keep doing this until the vine dies and then just rip the tires off the stack one at a time and dump the potatos out.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
papadekaitlyn said:
You can container grow sweet potatos, but you will need a large container. Also as the plant vine grows I would add more soil around it to provide more area for new roots (and taters) to grow as the plant grows.

I have grown red potatos in tire stacks quite well many times. I start with one tire and when the plant reaches about 2 feet tall I add another tire around it and fill it with soil as well as more slow release fertilizer.

I keep doing this until the vine dies and then just rip the tires off the stack one at a time and dump the potatos out.
That's a great idea! I'm going to try that this year! :weee

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you've got corn sprouting...watch out for them dern black birds!!! They took my whole patch and I had to replant. They just rip the seedlings up and get the kernel. I hate them dern birds. So this time I have netted the whole thing to where they will not get in to it. It's now about 1or 2 tall.
A friend of mine has a green house and he noticed the same thing happening to his seedlings but couldn't figure how them dern birds were getting into the house. So one day he sat and watched and there they were... pulling up seedlings, he saw them go in and out and couldn't believe where they were getting in... UNDER THE FOUNDATION!! They had burrowed out a hole to get in and out. Them dern birds!!!! I hate them!!!
Hope you fair better than we have!!! Keep and eye out, them sneaky rascals :barnie will take it all!!

papadekaitlyn

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I find that a .22 rifle works wonders for blackbirds...

Of course who has time to watch a corn patch all day??

Oh yeah, I remember now,...

I do! :D

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm helping or creating a bigger issue but we used to have a huge problem with birds since our property is the only one around with great things to eat.

So we made a bird sanctuary of a sort. Complete with bird feeders with tons of different types of feed, baths, houses and we even set out fresh stuff for them that doesn't make it inside or to the chickens. It seems to work as far as keeping them occupied and not picking around the garden. Of course we made it as far as possible from the garden.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well the seedlings are inside right now. I'll move them out when they get bigger. We have a lot of birds around. Do you think they will pull up carrot sprouts? I have the carrot box outside right now. Nothing has sprouted yet. Won't for a week or two I think.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
papadekaitlyn said:

I'm growing potatoes (several types.) similarly this year. I have used barrels, but have clean trash cans which my dd got, but now cannot use. So I'm putting holes in the bottom, setting them off the ground onto blocks, and putting 3-5 of each variety in them. One variety per. (The rest go in the garden.)

I can let you know how it goes. :)

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Definitely let me know how that goes. I came home today and found that the little tiny green sprout is now an inch tall (these suckers grow fast.) and it has a neighbor. So that makes 2 one inch tall sprouts. And there is a little tiny one poking up as well, so I'm very excited about this.

I know corn does not transplant well, but I was wondering since I'm going to have to put it in a bigger container....how tall should the sprouts be before I move them over?

Latest posts