Got some kiwi vines at the herb fair...

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Has anyone grown this before? They are the shiny green leaves, not the pink, white, and green. Apparently, they are hardy here in OK, and the guy said they are the fuzzy brown ones. He'd never heard of the small smooth ones.

I am debating where to put them. I had planned to put them on the large arbor where the grapes are growing, but reading up on them, I see that they need some afternoon shade, and a very sturdy support. They also need moist soil, and I don't have irrigation out in the vineyard (ha!) area. :p

I would put them on the pipe fence, but I am afraid the horses would destroy them. I have a nice area that they would be perfect for, if it wasn't for my 4 legged eating machines! :/ I am thinking that I'll just try them on the back fence, but I am not sure how sturdy it is.

I bought 3 vines from him, and they are good size. 2 have slightly wider leaves than the other, so I am hoping for 2 females and a male. :fl It wasn't noticeable at first, but when I was getting ready to plant them, I saw the difference. He only has the one kind, so I know they aren't different kinds.

I'd love to hear anyone else's experience with the kiwi! I'd like to get them in the ground today. Hopefully I'll plant them in a good spot! :tools

Shelly

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I am jealous! I would love to try them... but I have no idea about what to do with them?! :/

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have the hardy variety which are the smooth grape like ones but all kiwi need ALOT of room to ramble and good strong supports.
My father had the hardy kiwi as well and his is more established but he gets literally thousands of kiwi each year.
Some are known to have harvests of 100lbs per year.
I would not put it over an arbor with grapes, it needs its own area.
Go ahead an put them on the back fence, I don't know how sturdy your fence is, when it really gets going you may need to reinforce it with something.
I am in the same boat, I have it growing on the fence as well and if its growth habit is anything like the hardy kiwi you will be amazed at how quickly this vine takes off.
Depending on the variety and even some vines within the same variety you will need between 15 and 25 feet unless you prune it back, but at least plan on 15 feet per vine.
Remember that the male has to be in somewhat close proximity to the female vines, at least that is what I was told when I bough mine and that the male can pollinate up to 8 female vines.

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
simple life said:
I have the hardy variety which are the smooth grape like ones but all kiwi need ALOT of room to ramble and good strong supports.
My father had the hardy kiwi as well and his is more established but he gets literally thousands of kiwi each year.
Some are known to have harvests of 100lbs per year.
I would not put it over an arbor with grapes, it needs its own area.
Go ahead an put them on the back fence, I don't know how sturdy your fence is, when it really gets going you may need to reinforce it with something.
I am in the same boat, I have it growing on the fence as well and if its growth habit is anything like the hardy kiwi you will be amazed at how quickly this vine takes off.
Depending on the variety and even some vines within the same variety you will need between 15 and 25 feet unless you prune it back, but at least plan on 15 feet per vine.
Remember that the male has to be in somewhat close proximity to the female vines, at least that is what I was told when I bough mine and that the male can pollinate up to 8 female vines.
I am thinking to put the 3 vines along the smaller side of the fence, with the one that I think is the male, in the middle. then the females would each have a corner. I think it will work. Sounds like they are easy to propagate, too? Our fence is wood post with chainlink. Almost like a split rail style, but with rounded posts, rather than the cut posts.

What about the sun requirements? I read that they can't tolerate afternoon sun. This area is slightly shaded in the afternoon, so it should be ok. It is also on a downward slope, so it should stay moister than the other areas.

Vfem-what do you mean? What to do with them as in where to put them, or how to eat them? My kids live on them! LOL! I really wish I could put them on the steel post fencing, but I can't right now.

Shelly